Dumaguete Info Search

NegOr Gov orders removal of tourism billboard

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Obliged Friend, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    NegOr guv orders removal of controversial tourism billboard
    By Mary Judaline Partlow August 13, 2019, 8:12 pm

[​IMG]
    The controversial billboard in Pasig City ordered taken down by Negros Oriental Governor Roel Degamo. (Photo courtesy of Provincial Tourism Office)

DUMAGUETE CITY -- Negros Oriental Governor Roel Degamo has ordered the removal of a controversial billboard promoting a tourism attraction in Bais City, which drew flak from netizens who found it “offensive”.

Provincial Tourism Officer Myla Mae Bromo Abellana on Tuesday said that Degamo will no longer issue a statement regarding the billboard, as earlier announced but ordered its removal from its location in Metro Manila.

Abellana said following Degamo’s order on Monday, the billboard, measuring 30 feet by 50 feet, was removed from its location at URC Flour Plant along C-5 Bagong Ilog, Pasig City.

The billboard’s photo featured a male foreigner and an Asian woman lying on the floor of the prow of a boat out at sea, surrounded by dolphins.

The intention of the billboard was to promote the famous whale- and dolphin-watching activities in Bais City in Negros Oriental, but many people, in their Facebook comments, said the photo was “sexually suggestive, inappropriate, and putting out the wrong message”.

Abellana explained that the billboard was part of the province’s good intentions to promote tourism and in fact, they even borrowed that photo from the married couple in the picture who own a kite-surf school in Zamboanguita, Negros Oriental.

The billboard, which was put up last August 7, is one of three that the Provincial Tourism Office had approved following deliberations with its marketing and promotions team, to be used as marketing tools, she said.

All three billboards cost PHP1.5 million for two months of outdoor advertising which the provincial government paid for, she added.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't think it has anything to do with being sexually suggestive. Plenty of billboards in Manila have far more sexually suggestive material on them.

I personally don't like the billboard and think it could have been done much better but I see little in the way of inappropriate behavior being pictured. Looks more like a honeymoon than a sexpat advertisement to me. Are foreigners not allowed to be photographed showing affection to a Filipina significant other (even though we really don't know her nationality). Would the outrage have been the same if it were a much more attractive, younger and less obese white foreigner? Or how about if it were an Asian foreigner? Me thinks not. However, I can see where some people may take it the wrong way. I just wish people would be honest about why they don't like it and give the REAL reason. (I believe they think it implies/promotes sex tourism and for desperate men to visit the country because some people believe Filipinas have a reputation for being easy. Or possibly because they are racist and don't want white men in their country.)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    LOL

4. OP
    OP
    Obliged Friend

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    DFEDD51D-3020-4052-8777-A7FB20F13AB0.jpeg 7B4D40B3-2A0B-4060-B404-0268EE0F86E9.jpeg I did not know there was a Kite Surfing School in Zambonguita.

5. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    They were just upset that no one was watching the dolphins :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Offensive???? How do they know that the couple is not married? I guess it is all in how one's mind works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Obliged Friend

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    A married couple should be kissing and fondling in public?

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    Old white guy with young Filipina. Might be factual but it is not what most Filipinos want portrayed. I don't think it is offensive but it also wasn't a really good choice of image, it just isn't that appealing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,530 / 1,016
    Their hands were not where they would normally be so not offensive

10. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Why anyone would think that photo was tourism-worthy is what confuses me. Looks like someone stole the photo off someone’s phone. Doesn’t look like a professional photographer took it. Focus is also on the couple and not on the dolphins, which begs the question on which part of the tourism trade they were promoting.

• Agree Agree x 5