Dumaguete Info Search

Negros Chronicle

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by charlyB, Nov 25, 2015.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    I buy the Negros Chronicle every Sunday and think it is a good newspaper with helpful information but every week there is always news about some new measures for certain problems, these measures are never implemented by the law enforcers.
    This week there are 2 things, first is car sharing or color coding to cure the traffic problem, this cannot be serious as everybody knows it is the behavior of the 2 and 3 wheel drivers that are causing the problem, if the existing laws regarding lights that work, rear view mirrors, keeping to the right verge of the road and so on were enforced then at least 50% of these vehicles would be off the road.
    The second thing this week is the castration of stray dogs at a cost of 300 to 1500, why ? bullets are much cheaper.
    I think it is better to enforce the existing rules before wasting time passing new ones that will never be followed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not so sure about that one. Ammo is quite expensive here. :wink:

3. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    I would do the stray dogs around our place for free but we cant get a PTC anymore as that was the cure for the shootings problem (did that work ?) :wtf:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Lure them on to your property with some food.....no need for a PTC. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Agreed ammunition here is relatively expensive. Plus a large percentage of locals don't like to see unnecessary killing of anything... unless they are hungry or feel their pride was bruised!:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    IMHO, I would be upset to learn that stray dogs were being killed and especially by foreigners. Why do foreigners come to the Philippines and want to change everything to suite their lifestyle? and

I find it upsetting that anyone would suggest this! And others would go along with it or at least not respond to this comment in a more positive way. Maybe Dumaguete info should start a program for saving stray dogs here in Dumaguete? What a novel idea!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    There is a programme for saving Stray dogs, You can Contact your Local Barangay captain or contact the City Veterinary services

Jack:wink:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would prefer not to kill dogs (or any animal) but the strays here are dangerous. They carry diseases and cause countless traffic accidents (resulting in many human deaths and serious injuries). There are just to many to save, the vast majority of them need to be put down and out of their misery. You are welcome to use the forum to start such an rescue center though. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gord

gord DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer ✤✤Forum Sponsor✤✤ Forum Sponsor

businessman
    Ratings:
    +155 / 13
    hmmm,, such a huge and complicated problem. To understand maybe where I am coming from let me explain. I am an animal lover, I am not ashamed to admit that. If some one calls me a "bleeding heart liberal" for that, whatever ! I believe in compassion and standing up and helping any creature that cannot stand up and defend themselves. That extends to dogs, cats other animals as well as to abused kids and women, or a weak geek being picked on by a schoolyard bully. That does not make me a hero or a saint, but it does allow me to look in the mirror each morning and be proud of who I am. I am a meat eater and not a vegetarian. You will never find me holding a sign at a PETA rally whining about the cow,pig or chicken that was killed to put food on the plates of me and my family. I have personally killed animals for my food, but done so in the most humane way possible with respect for the animal I was killing. I have killed animals to put them out of their misery of suffering which they had no hope of recovering from. I did that with sadness every time. I have not had to, but would have no issue killing a coyote if I was a farmer and that coyote was killing my livestock, nor would I have a problem shooting a bear or mountain lion that came at me in the bush.

However, I would never shoot a stray dog on the street because he just happened to be a nuisance to me! Me, with the power of a gun in my hand looking down the sights at a defenseless creature whose only crimes were having been born into a life within a country whose people do not give a crap about animals, and that he might have irritated me. That would not make me a man, in my eyes or in the eyes of anyone I respect.

Now, where of course it gets very very complicated. We do live in the Philippines. A country that hardly shares my compassion for living creatures. The realities here are completely different than what I had grown up naively believing were consistent the world over. As much as I love Filipinos, the country and their culture in many ways, this issue is one I have real problems with. Everyday I will see dozens of cats and dogs, as well as children that are living a life of misery, and the people in this country do not care, nor will they help. The misery and need is so vast and the ability to make a difference is so small. Anything I have attempted to do had little effect and seems most often pointless.

Can this problem of stray dogs be solved? Not by the guy who has volunteered to shoot them, and not by an endless series of laws that will not be implemented. Only way it will be solved is by a complete change in the Filipino Psyche allowing them to figure out a compassionate and effective way to deal with the problem and then the will and efficiency to follow up. Maybe one day that will happen, but I am not naive enough to believe it will be in my lifetime.

What can I do? Sadly not much. I can however not allow myself to lose my compassion, nor become like the people who I feel have "got it wrong". I can and hopefully always will allow my actions to be guided by my compassion. I will not allow my heart to become dark, just because it seems the easy thing to do.

Gord

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    Have you ever been bit by a rabid dog ? I have not YET been and I intend to keep it that way, maybe I can get some of that free ammunition they give to foreigners at Manila airport :wtf:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1