Dumaguete Info Search

Negros-Panay road info March 2013

Discussion in 'Other Destinations in the Philippines' started by Miguel, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    Negros-Panay road info March 2013. The route was to cover roads unexplored.

Negros: Dumaguete-Canlaon town-Bacolod. Road following the sea mostly good. Bridges under construction in Jimamalud (short detour), La Libertad and Guihuligan; nothing much to talk about. Road up to Canlaon town ok but little worth seeing. Warning for road from Canlaon city to La Castellana; You hit rocky road some 10 clicks. Heavy machinery working on but takes time to finish. When You think You cannot take it anymore, You are rewarded by fantastic roads down to La Castellana, La Carlota and to Bacolod. Start after breakfast You are easily in Bacolod to lunch. NW Inn in Rizal St. promo 1150 incl buffet breakfast. Fruit salad out of tin can! Yak. Next door Midtown Inn from 550.

When coming back I took the road N of Canlaon just to enjoy. They are widening the road in places but no need to slow down. Scenery down to San Carlos as fantastic as always. A longer road work between San Carlos and the turn to Canlaon town incl one brigde beeing done.

Panay: Tristar boat to Dumangas 200, Montenegro 300. Terminal fee in Bacolod 93, in Dumangas 63. Road via Miag-ao, Anini-y to San Jose is good with nice views. Towns in S coast all have big cathedrals. San Jose last bigger town on the road N. Villa Geraldine 750, clean, central. Antique is the land of rice and fish and sugar and ducks. Many nice beaches and resorts. Big rivers, now mostly dry. Roads very good all the way to Libertad. Before Buruanga a piece of roadwork, soon ready. Caticlan is just the port to Mindoro and to Boracay. El Chielo asks 1000 but happy with half.

Boat to Boracay You pay 25 + terminal fee 100 + enviromental fee 75. There is however a back door, 30 only. Keywords: resident, cargo, Manoc beach. They ask 1000 for 2 hours bike rent in Boracay, 4 hours 1500 :D

Caticlan to Kalibo You have seaview only in beginning, then up and down the hills of Aklan. After Kalibo no more crazy vans jumping tourists to Boracay. Kalibo to Roxas major road works. Beehive is basic with fan 380. Central location. Could change name to BaklaHive. Nice market.

Just E of Roxas is the town of Pan-ay, the first Spanish colony which gave name to this island before called Madya-as. Long cuts of bad road and muddy when raining like now, almost all way to Balasan. Estancia is a busy port town.

Plenty of carwash (bike 25) in Balasan because from here the road all the way to Ilo-ilo is great fun to ride. You can take it all out. After the turn to Dumangas more traffic. Ong Bun still there, clean with many options from 380. Location cannot be better. They have a branch in Bacolod now, next to central market. Ilo-ilo is the mother town of Bacolod, settlers came from there. Ilo-ilo is clean, no stray dogs (thanks to mayor), and You can find many Chinese things here.

Remarks: I like Ilo-ilo. I like Antique. Roads in Panay wont end in a trench like in Negros. Why not take care of stray dogs here as in Ilo-ilo...Bike Rouser 220. Hotel prices double with cr, ac/fan.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I recently took a trip up to Pampanga/Olongapo. I took the Dunaguete-Mabinay-Bacolod route. Roads were decent until Mabinay with minimal construction and rough roads. Excellent from Mabinay to Kabankalan, excellent riding for a sports bike (CBR 1000RR). And decent from Kabankalan to Bacolod with a few spots of rough road and construction. Once you get into what I call metro Bacolod it's slow going. Stayed in Happy Travelers Pension House on 13th street near the immigration office. 500 for aircon room, 650 aircon and hot water. Old Spanish style 2 story building, clean rooms and pleasant staff. My hotel of choice in bacolod now.

I took the ferry from Bacolod - Damangas in the morning. 65 peso terminal fee, I think I paid around 200 for my bike to get to Damangas on Star Ferries. Took the road up the middle of the island. Bridge was out about 10km from damagus, took, what seemed like a 5km detour down a rocky, muddy road. Roads not good from Damagus-Rossi City, frequent patches of washed out roads with no construction equipment or warning signs in sight, frequently slid in sideways trying to stop before rough patch around a corner. Stopped in Rossi for lunch at the Garden Pavilion Hotel. Fried Chicken was sh*t, very sweet and chopped to where you couldn't recognize what part you were eating, the sauce served with it was some concoction of sugar syrup, some type of pepper and perhaps vinegar and garlic. Foreigner manager was sitting reading the newspaper, very uninterested in anything around him, looked as if he was hating life. Continued on to Caticlan. Roads were bad, concrete but covered in cracks and mud. Horrible ride for a sports bike, wish I had a KLR. The closer you get to Boracay the better the roads get. Good for sports bike 30km from Boracay. Checked ferry schedules, getting late so looked for a hotel, Caticlan is a dirty shithole, went back south for 5km and found a beach resort. Small time operation. Owner asked me for 900php for a fan room, I offered 500 and promised to eat and drink at his place and he took the deal. Nice staff, clean but simple room. Stayed up late drinking with owner and staff. Went to ferry terminal in the morning.

Since this thread is only about Negros and Panay I'll stop there. Will create a thread on entire trip when I return.

3. London3

London3 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I totally agree: Panay roads are much better. I had the experience of crossing the island in January.