Dumaguete Info Search

? New Ferry Service to Dumaguete ?

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by davfitz, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Yesterday, we were re-united with a visiting friend from Norway. He told us of the several days he had already spent in Cebu and Tacloban, decompressing from his long flight.

We asked him about his trip to Dumaguete from Cebu and he predictably responded by bus. We asked if he had made the transit from Cebu to Negros via the Maayo LCT or on the Lilo'an to Sibulan ferry. He responded that he had arrived directly to Dumaguete harbour on a RORO ship and did not know the name of the originating port on Cebu Island.

Is there a new bus & ferry service that has not been widely advertised?

2. OP
    OP
    davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I hate to be the only one to reply to my own posts here. I have heard nothing for two weeks now. A Ceres driver in Cebu confirmed today that there is, indeed, a different form of service available, between Cebu and Dumaguete.

The 1000 Aircon departure from Cebu south proceeds from Cebu to Bato, where it is loaded onto the 1400 Lite Ferry departure direct to Dumaguete. Sailing time? I did not discover it but likely between one and two hours(?). There is only this single service daily.

I would suspect that there is also some sort of reverse service available. This service combines the convenience of a single handling of baggage, with a ferry that sails direct to one's intended destination, unlike the Maayo service.

It still does not beat the Cebu - Liloan - Sibulan - Dumaguete service when conditions are right. Today we returned from South terminal to our home in Dumaguete in a total elapsed time of four and a half hours.

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    "It still does not beat the Cebu - Liloan - Sibulan - Dumaguete service when conditions are right. Today we returned from South terminal to our home in Dumaguete in a total elapsed time of four and a half hours."

Maybe this is why there have been no replies? :D

4. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I have no other idea then the 2 which are already often mentioned on this forum in different threads
    We use them both nearly weekly the last month.
    Today we left from the south terminal of Ceres Liners in Cebu at 11:30 AM.
    It took a bit more than 3 hours for the bus to reach Liloan.
    At 3 PM we left with the "little" steelboat ferry (not the banka) to Sibulan (only 15 minutes today ! rather flat water !).
    In Sibulan with a jeepney to the jeepney terminal for Zamboanguita. Some waiting time before the jeepney wass full loaded with people and at 4:45 PM we stepped out at our place 24 km south of Dumaguete.
    Total travelling time of a bit more than 5 hrs.
    In our morning trip of yesterday (Dumaguete to Cebu via Maayo ferry Amlan- Bato) it took quite more time: 5.5 hrs from Dumaguete and 40 minutes by jeepney from home to Dgte Ceres liners terminal;
    So total travelling time about 6 hrs and 10 min.
    But bear in mind that the length of the travel time depends a lot on the waiting times of the bus at Maayo Shipping lines and the stops a bus makes.

5. OP
    OP
    davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks, jellyfish and the others. My friend in Norway confirms today by E-mail that which we have been saying.

I am familiar both with the Ceres service which joins the Maayo ferry at Bato and the service which joins the Sibulan - Liloan route. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

There is apparently another option which is not advertised to my knowledge. That is the 1000 departure from Cebu south which proceeds to the Lite Ferry terminal at Bato, is loaded aboard the 1400 departure there and then sails directly to the Dumaguete port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.