Dumaguete Info Search

New Guy Saying Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Willie Tee, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Willie Tee

Willie Tee DI New Member Veteran Army

Disabled Army Veteran.
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hello everyone! I have been back in the States since Nov 2009. I just want to say hello and I am here in Florida working on my VA disability and as soon as that is all final I will be moving to Dumaguete! I look forward to talking with everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Welcome to the forum. Were you previously living in the Philippines?

3. OP
    OP
    Willie Tee

Disabled Army Veteran.
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes I lived in Lapu Lapu Cebu From March 2009 to Nov 2009. I had some health problems and came back to the States to see my Dr's at the VA and to work on my VA disability and I am still here. I did make the mistake of getting married to a woman from my home state. We are divorced now. I am still working on my VA disability and I have part of it so as soon as I get the rest of it I am moving me and my little dog to Dumaguete. I have a Filipina there I am Chatting with. I have researched Dumaguete quite extensively and I really like the area. I can rent a furnished house on the beach outside of town with a good sized yard for my little dog Willie to run and play in. Rent from what I see lookin online is really not bad at all compared to what I payed in 2009 in Cebu. I payed P22,000 a month for a 1 bedroom furnished and still had to pay for my internet, big bottles of water to drink and cook with and of course my own food. I have seen online in Dumaguete area furnished 2 and 3 bedrooms listed in that price range and some say cable and internet available and some say its furnished in with the rent.

4. DELETED-shotshapers

DELETED-shotshapers Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If its just you and the dog for now, then 12-14k would be more than reasonable for just the two, come here first hotel for a few days or airbnb and you will get better options/offers on the ground, (DONT COMMIT TO ANYTHING ONLINE UNTIL YOU COME HERE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF)

if you are going south of the border (down mexico way, then you will have to factor in traffic) if travelling an hour in a jeepney to buy in the supermarket or to meet friends everyday the appeal will soon wear off and it will be come a drag in the oppressive heat

and finally THINK PESO AND NOT DOLLAR....................if you plan on shelling out 20k for rent and another extra 25-35k in other little expenses it will soon rack up so plan ahead (a little sickness here and there will eat into the money here too) sickness also includes the ladies family

come here with your eyes open , pocket sewn shut and leave your 1st world mentality at the airport

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Willie Tee

Disabled Army Veteran.
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hey shotshapers thanks for the reply my friend. I have lived in the phils before. I spent most of 2009 in Cebu. I am disabled and came back to the States to see a Dr and while I am here I started my VA disability claim so I am waiting on that to get finished before I come back.

Yes I agree with you on what you are saying. It is a completely different world there. I have a few Americans living there (Cebu Area) and they have Filipina wives. My first time there I lived in the Cebu area Lapu Lapu and I had a good time until I got sick and came back to the States so I could use the VA here in the states for free. I had to have some surgery and it was free here. Found out it was going to take awhile to get my VA disability so I have settled in for awhile here in Florida. Picked up a little puppy and he was 7 weeks old when I got him and I've had him just over 4 years and I won't even think of giving him up. Hes my buddy! My plans are to come first and find a place and get it rented and have my lady stay there until I get back with my dog and what stuff I am bringing with me. I have several Saltwater Fishing rods and all the tackle I will bring with me also so I will need to look and see if I need to have it shipped or try to carry it on the plane, on the plane would cost me extra due to the extra weight. Anyway that's my plan sofare. When I was in Cebu the area I was in had a few expats but not that many. I think there was 5 or 6 of us in the compound.

6. DELETED-shotshapers

DELETED-shotshapers Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    all your salt water tackle !!!!!!!!! not thinking you will want that very very very little beach fishing done here, waste of time beach fishing here if ask me, better chance of catching a local as they have their nets all along the shore, then they rock fish, and most of the beaches are sand, only way is to buy or rent a boat ( local boats are all bangkas ) not comfort in them if you want to go out a bit to fish, if you buy you gotta buy something your fimiliar and comfortable in,and a place to moor it of water and that wont be any of the local set ups

reason i say this is i too am fond of fishing and its the one thing i do very very very rarely here for all the reasons above then there is the hot stinky sun ( a bit unlike florida in that its endless and searing) then there is the water it self and that can be fair rough at times and the competiton on the water

i say come here first leave the tackle at home..........better to post it im guessing as no way in hell that will be accepted as carry on

as for the woman.............be ultra careful, if you will leave her in the apartment on her own when you leave ( maybe she is honest), but when the her family finds out she will be put under immense pressure to produce (hint hint hint)

7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Not off topic yet, but if you are thinking of bring you dog, give yourself about 6 month to learn the animal export program, get the things done over there like vet check, Department of Agriculture clearance etc, and the paper work for here too. It takes time but is worth it. Brought my 2 Persian Cats 5 years ago, one of my best decisions I made, against most people's advice.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Willie Tee

Disabled Army Veteran.
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hello Dave, the last time I was in the Philippines I got rid of my dog I had at that time because I had heard about all the quarantine and so on. This time I am doing like you say I am doing my research and I have found a lot of info on bringing him with me. I keep his shots and flea and tick constantly up to date so it will be easy come time to make the move. Doing the research I have found that yes its a little bit on the hectic side but I know that it will be worth it. My profile pic is my buddy I am talking about. That pic is the infamous Willie Tee!!! LOL Willie just adopted #2~2-1.jpg
    This is Willie the day I adopted him in Aug 2013 he was 7 weeks old.
    20151017_172824.jpg
    And this is him now at 3 years and 7 months old. He is a lap dog and he is a bed hog too!!! LOL He is also a very good watch dog. He will let me know if he hears a strange noise outside.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    You will also need a id implant in him. Time frames on the documents is important, as the final documents can only be a few weeks old to insure the pet is still healthy when you leave the country in the US. Good luck, sound like you are doing your part. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Willie Tee

Disabled Army Veteran.
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hey man I understand what you are saying. One thing is for sure I can leave my tackle thats no problem I bought all my fish from locals when I lived in Cebu. As for producing, not gonna happen I had the snip snip done in 1987 after my son was born. When I was in Cebu I had one lady come to visit and I went to my bathroom and she decided she needed my ipod and some of my CD's more than I did. From that point on I held it until the lady left.

• Agree Agree x 1