Dumaguete Info Search

New here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Baldylocks, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Baldylocks

Baldylocks DI New Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hello Forum guys

Stumbled across this website browsing- looks good.

Been to the Philippines a few time only for short trips- the longest was two weeks. Returning next year sometime and now that I am retired will have more time to enjoy. Browsing really for somewhere to stay for a about 2 or 3 months- not particularly concerned where [not Manila] and liked what I read about Dumaguete mentioned a few times in other ex pat websites- so thought I would start here.
    I am from UK

Cheers

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Welcome to the forum. Dumaguete has it's pros and cons just like any city. What are you looking to do in/get out of Dumaguete?

3. OP
    OP
    Baldylocks

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not the energetic type I am retired now. Just somewhere comfortable with a pool to idle the day away with a swim, take the sun. Maybe a small hotel or rent a serviced apartment. Take in some trips around by bus or boat. Enjoy a beer or two with some ex pats- eat out.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well the Dumaguete area should be pretty good for that. Not sure where you will find an affordable hotel with a pool though. That probably depends on your budget. I know of some serviced apartments up in Valencia (about 15 minutes from Dumaguete and up in the mountains) that have a pool and accept short term stays:
    New Apartments In Valencia | Dumaguete Info

Not sure if @DavyL200 in Bacong has a pool at his place or if he accepts short term or even has vacancies but he might be able to point you in the right direction.

My landlord also has a pool and accepts short term leases but I don't know of availability (the lower apartments don't have the water problem that I have been bitching about on another thread here). These apartments aren't listed on the forum either. I believe they are 12k or 15k for long term (can't remember how much they pay down there)....not sure what is on a short term basis, my guess would be 18k a month though. You would need to find a helper if you lived here as they are not fully serviced.

5. OP
    OP
    Baldylocks

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wrye-Thanks for the details. Certainly the links show a budget that is okay for me- nearer the time I will pursue enquiries - but somewhere near to bars and restaurants- but not too city centre. Difficult of course doing it remotely- but as my other trips to Philippines I booked up in a hotel and then looked about for another place to stay. Now I have plenty of time and no need to be concerned about travel schedules - I can just move on to somewhere else.

I note your suggestion about having a helper - again it is something to look into once there. But for sure it is an essential aspect of travel/renting- and being a lazy old guy. haha

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's going to be pretty difficult to find as any bar you are going to want to go to are near the boulevard and there just isn't much housing in that area. Valencia will take you 10-20 minutes depending on traffic to get to the boulevard. A lot cooler up there too. I'm sure others will have some recommendations.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. OP
    OP
    Baldylocks

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The advantage that you have over me, Sir - is local knowledge. Never been there before- so in response to your question about what I aim to do and get out of Dumaguete I gave an indication of what I would like to do. My intent would be to book a hotel and take in the scenery and seek place to rent for a couple of months- perhaps longer- as I am an independent sort of guy and retired -what is time. Your suggestion on Valencia reads good to me too. Once I have my travel itinerary sorted will return here and ask for hotel recommendations - either in Dumaguete or indeed Valencia

Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide the details. Owe you a beer
    cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Rum will do. I'm sure you'll figure it out once you get boots on the ground. Not that hard to figure out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk