Dumaguete Info Search

New LTO requirement

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Andrew65, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Andrew65

Andrew65 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    A few days a go I was stopped on my scooter by the traffic police everything was in order except I did not have a Philippine license which the officer said I need as I have been in the country over 90 days, fortunately my girlfriend was with me and comes from the same province as the officer so I was allowed to go with out paying a fine and with the promise that I would get a valid Philippine license.

I went to the LTO office today to get my UK driving license converted to a Philippine license, but it seems there is a new requirement as of November last year.

You now need to have a Visa duration of 1 year minimum, but according to immigration offices the maximum visa extension for a tourist is 6 months making it impossible for me to get my Philippine license. So now I can't ride the scooter legally
    Has anyone else been caught by this difference in regulations between LTO and immigration offices ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I would suggest trying another LTO office like Bais where the small town atmosphere is more friendly to foreigner$

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Frodo

Frodo DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    Hi Andrew: If you plan on staying here long-term, and if you are at least 35 years old, you may want to get a Special Resident Retiree's Visa (SRRV), which would solve your problem. Here is the link:

PRA: Philippine Retirement Authority

It's possible these recent LTO changes are the government's way of encouraging people who are not really short-term tourists to get long-term visas.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Big money involved there if you aren't prior military and many of us are not old enough to get this type of visa (including myself).

If this is a new requirement I'd like to see the law/memorandum that states this one year requirement. Many times these laws are just misinterpreted by the OIC of the branch.

5. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    When I got my license about 2 years ago they first told me that I didn't need a Philippine driver's license because I had one from US. I told them I was told to get a license before 90 days in country as I was now living here. They mumbled something but they finally gave the OK to get the license which I have needed being one of the lucky one's having three road blocks so far without any issues.

6. OP
    OP
    Andrew65

Andrew65 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Thanks for the reply's

I got an update on this, the LTO website states the following as one of the requirements to convert a foreign license to a Philippine one:

Photocopy of Passport with entry at least one month and visa duration of at least one year from date of application.

It seems that this means you have to have stayed in the country for 1 year with a valid visa getting extensions as needed before you can apply and get your driving license. In other words you can drive legally using your foreign license for the first 90 days, then have to wait until you have been in the country 1 year before you can obtain your license and drive legally again !

As regards the SRRV I will look into that as I am planning on staying long term however I suspect I would still need to wait a full year in country before getting the license.

Andrew

7. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's not how I interpret it. The way I interpret it is you need a passport that shows that you have been in the country for at least one month, and a visa that allows you to stay at least one more year from application OF DRIVERS LICENSE (not visa).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frodo

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    Hi Andrew: I agree with Denpet's interpretation of the policy.

My gf texted her LTO friend in Tagbilaran. He confirmed the new policy that the applicant must be in possession of a visa that is good for a year (or more).

My gf asked her LTO friend if there was a reference number for the new (November) policy -- so we can see exactly what it says. He responded that he must talk to his OIC about this -- apparently he has not actually seen the policy letter.

On a related note, while we were at Robinson's Mall today we stopped by the LTO office. The girl there also confirmed the new visa policy. When I asked for a policy letter reference number she said her OIC has the policy and her OIC is in Cebu today.

As a side note, my SRRV says "indefinite" for the expiration date.

I'll write again if/when I hear back from our LTO friend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Especially if ex-military on a VA pension of at least $1000/mo (might have increased to $1500) double check. If not it gets quite a bit more expensive very quickly

10. Frodo

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    I believe monthly VA disability income also qualifies for inclusion so that make help some people meet the financial requirement.

• Like Like x 1