Dumaguete Info Search

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Laceman, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Laceman

Laceman DI Junior Member Veteran Air Force Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Hi. Just wanted to introduce myself. Visited Dumaguete last January and coming back in late November to look for a long-term rental. I retired from the U.S. military and have long history of employment in the medical, legal, and education fields. Will be moving with g/f, daughter, and g/f's mother. Last visit as a tourist. Closer to my arrival, I will probably have a few questions about the better Barangays (meaning safe and clean) and transportation options while looking for housing. For months, I have been reading as a guest and only recently joined. Hope to meet some of you when I am there again.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Welcome to the forum. What branch of the military were you in?

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Welcome to the forum, let us know how we can help you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    welcome hope to meet up one day

5. filipinogring

filipinogring DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Diabled vet and retired police officer here. I arrived last June. Fairly easy to get around on trikes, but it gets old fast. Going to get a car in January. I have two solid friends, both restaurant owners and they have showed me around. Choose your friends wisely. Snowbirds will be arriving in October and the selection of housing may not be so good. I would try to secure something now and look for something permanent after the Snowbirds leave. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Laceman

Retired
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Thanks everyone. U.S. Army 1970-1977; U.S. Air Force 1979-1993. My plan was to book a place from about 29 Nov-6 Dec while I look for permanent location. Is that not enough time? Currently live in Thailand, so not with the snowbird group. So that is my plan, any special tips? I do choose friends carefully, but have many acquaintances. Thanks for the advice. Started driving 2 years after moving to Thailand, do not plan to drive right away in P.I. Hence, my question about transportation. Used trikes on my last visit. Don't know if good for house hunting. Thanks again for the welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  7. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    Look into island properties website for rentals, some are on this forum too. Ask 4-6 pedicab drivers what they would charge for 4 hours to take you around and then take the average and find a driver you like. Apartments seem to be many available and houses seem higher but you may negotiate if doing longer lease. A week is long enough, look at many places before deciding and do not get excited if you love it, price will inflate. Happy hunting, take good notes and directions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Laceman

Retired
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Thanks patty and PATO. Will look at sites and give both a try closer to arrival date. Also, thanks for the suggestion of finding pedicab. Is a pedicab the small 4-wheeled vehicle or just a Trike?

10. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    A pedicab is a motorbike with a type of sidecar attached to it. I think there is a picture of mine in the photo section on this forum.