Dumaguete Info Search

New Rules for US Citizenship of children born to US Govt persons

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by okiebound, Aug 29, 2019.

1. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +341 / -10
    • And another point
    I take that back; Trump became president on Jan 20 so Obama could have retracted wet foot right before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +748 / -0
    • Another point for you too.
    Removed redundant content as I see you already corrected the above statement and I don't see a way to delete the post.

I bet it's going to be very interesting when Trump becomes a lame duck president.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +12,493 / -11
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Some users getting really close to getting banned. Keep your politics off the main forums.

Edit: One member permanently banned, the other gets to take a week off. Ignore the rules if you wish. I won't give any more verbal warnings or chances, straight to points.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  4. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +229 / -2
    Blood Type:
    B+
    • One for you too.
    Got it. You don't like Trump. This IS a forum for liberals LOL. Thank you for showing your true colors. This is not political, Rye? "I bet it's going to be very interesting when Trump becomes a lame duck president." Just a dream. I expect to be banned as well so pull the switch.

• Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +12,493 / -11
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Keep going. You can talk about politics all you like in the controversial section. Not on the main forum.

Edit: Just to clarify a bit more. This forum is for people who want to learn about Dumaguete and the surrounding area, it has nothing to do with your political leaning. Bringing in political clan mentality and having to navigate through the vitriol and personal attacks only makes this goal of learning harder to achieve. This is exactly why politics were banned from the main forum and a separate area, that you must opt into to see, was created. It has nothing to do with Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan, any other president/politician, Republicans or Democrats, etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  6. redhorse

redhorse DI Member

Ratings:
    +184 / -0
    This rule change is widely misunderstood and really only effects some atypical cases where a child must be physically present in the US in order to receive US citizenship. Time spent living abroad with a US armed forces service member or government employee parent will no longer meet that requirement. As others have pointed out, that's NOT a requirement that most children born abroad to US citizen parents, service members or not, have to meet.

According to an analysis on Military.com, it affects:
    • Children who live with their U.S. parents abroad but who did not acquire citizenship at birth, including infants and children adopted overseas.
    • Children born of non-U.S. citizens who are adopted by U.S. citizens.
    • Those whose parents became U.S. citizens after the child's birth.
    • U.S. citizens who do not meet the residence or physical presence rules needed to transmit birthright citizenship, such as a person born overseas with birthright citizenship who never lived in the United States.
    https://www.military.com/daily-news...-policy-children-troops-serving-overseas.html

• Informative Informative x 1