Dumaguete Info Search

New Scam In Town?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Cutie ladybug, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I happened to see a couple nice looking girls meeting up with a Filipino guy at McDo yesterday..

He had a thick binder notebook, and the girls were riveted to what he had to say.

Later, he pulled a vitamin C supplement product out and I began to smell a rat..

The name of the product was on the side of the bag of goodies he was selling? so I looked it up, adding the word 'scam' and sure enough, I found a blog written by a Filipino saying how the written test given by the parent company only has 5 questions, and other tip offs.

Then he mentioned the pressure to buy sample products..the old Amway scheme?

I caught up with the girls outside and told them to be careful, but I don't think they were paying attention

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    MLM is very popular here, everyone buys into the "get rich quick" scheme.

Larry

3. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some wise guy: We don't get fooled by others, we fool ourselves.

4. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
  5. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I Myself never got caught up in the whole Amway Scheme, although I do have to admit that some of their products are pretty good.There's someone here at My work trying to sell this Miracle Acai concentrated juice product called "Monavie" and to Me it's just another Pyramid Scam just like Amway. These People can really care less about the product they're selling and are more concerned about getting people underneath them to build Their Pyramid....cheers

6. OP
    OP
    Cutie ladybug

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Of course the girls eyed ME with suspicion, even though they apparently believed everything the guy was telling them. The company website is working now, I see claims there that earnings of up to p100,000 a month (!) are possible.

As if

7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    It goes deeper than that. I got tricked into going to a Quixtar meeting, which is basically Amway. I was invited to dinner by an acquaintance and he mentioned nothing of a B.S. meeting. It only took me that one meeting to see what's really going on with this company.

I don't have numbers, but I'm betting the company makes relatively little from selling retail products at razor thin margins. They aren't going to become another Amazon or Walmart doing that sort of thing. Rather, selling products is a smokescreen to make the scheme legit with the U.S. legal system and to distract their sales force.

The real money with far higher margins comes from selling tickets to their conferences and training and motivational materials. The more they grow their sales force, the more of these things they sell.

These organizations are like a cult. The meeting I attended talked more about community, hope, better relationships and anything else they could throw against the wall to make something stick than covering sales. You can't argue with religion.

8. OP
    OP
    Cutie ladybug

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My neighbor in the US was telling me about his Monavie... Basically he was trying to get people or new members to buy samples.

I knew a guy that went high up Amway. He used to give speeches at Amway meetings etc. part of his talks to his downline workers included challenging them asking Didnt they WANT to support their familes ?? etc

Also advising them to just abandon friends even relatives who didn't like the Amway techniques. They were LOSERS!

- Then he got religion and gave it all up.

9. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When do you think are they going to offer eternal salvation, too? It's a must! See how other great MLM companies religions are thriving.

10. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Life inside the Dumaguete McDonalds gets more exciting by the day!