Dumaguete Info Search

Newby

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BobBski, Sep 7, 2015.

1. BobBski

BobBski DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hi everyone, I'm Bob, been lurking awhile and figured it was time to register. Looking at moving over within the next year after closing things out here in the U.S. Fishing is probably my biggest joy but hope to also get back into Scuba diving too. Looking forward to chatting with and getting to know everyone. Have a great day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Welcome to the forum. Where are you at in the US?

3. OP
    OP
    BobBski

Retired
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Ohio. I lived in the PI, Clark AFB (Angeles City) 1965-1968, and always planned on retiring somewhere in the Philippines. I'm planning on spending a month or so each in Valencia, San Carlos and Iloilo before settling in.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've only made a few stops in San Carlos (while traveling Bacolod)....seems like a pretty boring place to me, not my cup o' tea. I've lived in Valencia since I arrived in Negros, really like living there....but it has it's drawbacks. If I ever moved from here Iloilo would be top on the list of places to consider.

5. OP
    OP
    BobBski

Retired
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :smile:. That's what makes it attractive to me lol. Understanding weather/road conditions....what is an average travel time Dumaguete to San Carlos?? San Carlos to Bacolod?

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The road to San Carlos has been unfinished since I arrived back in 2010. They have finished a large portion of it but there is still a pretty long section that is rough going (as of last year, it could have improved a bit). It takes me about 3 hours to get to San Carlos on a sports bike. Any extra speed I get on the straight stretches is countered by very slow speeds on the rough sections so you should see that in car as well.

Going from San Carlos to Bacolod you should expect 2-3 hours driving at a reasonable speed. The road is good going to Bacolod but it is through the mountains and has quite a lot of twists and turns. Great views up there though.

7. OP
    OP
    BobBski

Retired
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Thanks. For a vehicle I'm going to take a serious look at one of those motorcycle conversions with the small truck bed for carrying diving/fishing/other gear as needed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    That is a good Idea but I have to say that depending where you settle it could be Traffic wise as bad as a proper 4 wheeler :whistling:

JP:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    If you're interested in fishing contact mike Alano on this forum as he is the big guy on fishing on here,I even think he has a boat for sale which he had built by a a local guy, good for 2-3 pax. Based on siliman beach.

• Like Like x 3
  10. OP
    OP
    BobBski

Retired
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Great info, thanks.