Dumaguete Info Search

News from Australia

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Panday Pera, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panday Pera

Panday Pera DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Australian Shooter Magazine on Gun Law

An interesting letter in the Australian Shooter Magazine this week, which I quote:

"If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the past 22 months, and a total of 2,112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington , DC , is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period.

That means you are about 25 per cent more likely to be shot and killed in the US capital, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the US .

Conclusion: "The US should pull out of Washington ."[/B:D

2. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Most Americans

know that is right. But the sad truth is, it will never happen. As for this American, as they say "love it or leave it", I'm leaving it. At 19 I was fit enough to dodge bullets but at 62 I can barely dodge a petty cab.
    As fare as I am concerned, the politicians and the cops are more dangerous than the crooks. Don't get me wrong, I love America and Americans, it is the American government that I fear.

3. AntiX

AntiX DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I get your point but using the American invasion and occupation of Iraq as a comparison leaves much to be desired.

4. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Jim, you've just GOT to lighten up. Next thing you know there will be a new thread complaining about too slow long noses impeding the flow of Dumaguete pedicab traffic.

Too much rain for exploration?

5. OP
    OP
    Panday Pera

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    irony and humor, nothing else should be made out of it.

6. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    But the fact that in Iraq there is a shooting war going on, which says a whole lot about our troops, while DC is a city I have never been impressed with, sort of puts it in real perspective which does not come out a teeny bit favorable for DC.

7. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    If they would just shoot at all those lobbyists in DC it would be a far better place.

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2

This has been floating around the internet for some time, and the math is ALL wrong!

Going by the above posted figures the Iraq War death rate for the "past 22 months" would be .13195

80.6 per 100,000 is only .000806 !!!!

Why is it when people see a bunch of numbers that they just assume they are correct??!!

9. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2

I say fire them all with no severance pay, no pension, and no healthcare!!
    I doubt any of them would survive if they really had to work for a living!

10. OP
    OP
    Panday Pera

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    "Why is it when people see a bunch of numbers that they just assume they are correct??!!"

Humorist are bad mathematician nor do they care about facts as much as they care about the punch line. Just a little ribbing towards the good folks in Washington DC.

Kenny's idea is very appealing.

Just let them retire on "Medicare" and remove all the perks they now enjoy as Knowdafish said. You don't have to shoot any of them. They will voluntarily leave Washington and find a better paying job. Maybe then only those dedicated in serving will remain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.