Dumaguete Info Search

Noise.........

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by David Finlay, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Finlay

David Finlay DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There has been some discussion about noise here, barking dogs, roosters etc. Well, after New Years eve, anything short of "shock and awe", pales into insignificance.
    This was my 1st New Years eve here in the Philippines and it was pretty unbelievable, for those who read this in other countries. Firecrackers are for sale and the people go wild and bring in the New Year with as much noise and sky rockets as possible. San Carlos is quite small, no traffic lights and the noise and spectacle was amazing.
    To be in a large city would be scarey.

2. okcat69

okcat69 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree

I hear you. I’m still in Shale Shock:eek: , I live in a small quite subdivision No Videokie to be heard but for four days before Christmas to last night it was a war zone hear. On Jan the 1st. I could see black smoke and hear the sirens of the fire trucks coming from all around. I don’t know how much damage was dune to the homes hear I heard even the Police had a fire down town.

3. glamourpuss

glamourpuss DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    honestly i didn't find it that bad. sure the fireworks were a bit annoying, but after everything i had read i was prepared for a lot worse. maybe it was because of all the rain in NYE in Dumaguete, but things seemed really quiet.

4. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Don't be alarmed guys and nothing to worry at all. It's just Filipino traditions to welcome New year with big bang....Anyway, wish you all a very Happy New Year...

5. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Last new year that I was in Cebu city

The last; New Years Eve that I was in Cebu City, I thought I was in a war zone. rockets flying past my head and the smoke from the fireworks so thick it was hard to breath and I lived on the third floor of the building it was so unreal, hard to believe what I was seeing the amount of money that was spent on fireworks. Didn't know there was that much money in the country let alone just the city of Cebu. Never in my life have I seen that many fireworks go off.

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

This was my 6th consecutive New Years in Dumaguete, and the shortest and quietest. Probably the rain kept it so mellow.

Larry

7. jesusitshot

jesusitshot DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The fire work custom is of course Chinese related, its part of the culture, its something that I enjoy until I see the reports of injuries and about the firework related fires. The government and local governments have tried to cull the problem, but even when totally banned as in some cities of course there is no total regards to the ban.

But new year eve is a happy time in urbanized areas of the Philippines, at midnight people flow on to the streets to celibate the new year, its something and an experience you will not find in many countries in the world. It's not meant to be frightening, but of course if you are not use to such revelry and rockets and the constant bangs then that's something I understand. In the yester years guns were fired in the air and many a poor soul was accidentally shot as what goes up has to come down.

Thankfully that practice is now frowned upon. Though of course some silly idiots are really silly and break the ban, those occurrences have decreased thankfully. The police have to place tape over the barrel of their weapons and their police chief signs the tape. Yes naughty policemen got tempted in the pass and in fact were some of the worst offenders.

It was very quiet here where I live on the outskirts of duma, in the content of bangs, shouting and dancing in the street. But I have fond memories of past events in Cebu it was fun and my neighbors enjoyment rub off on me.

Families buy about 200 to 500 peso's of fireworks and there are of course loads of families. So there's your answer to the firework display I would say one of the biggest firework events in the World. Enjoy the memory oh I had my own display without the rockets and used fairly safe fireworks. I also followed tradition of handing out candy to the kids and giving presents to friends and my partners family great fun was had by all. But sleep that was another matter. lol

Lets all make this year a good one

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

There was an article in the paper that the barrels were not taped this year here, due to in the past officers just redid the tape and forged the initials.

Larry

9. nomad4ever

nomad4ever DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Noise pollution seems to be an ever-growing problem in Asia. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.