Dumaguete Info Search

Not a happy visitor to Duma.

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Oz-Roger, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    This may not be the correct section for it, so please move it wrye if not.

I came across this today, and the guy who was not impressed with Dumaguete must have overheard me describing the place to my friends in Oz after my first visit here, virtually word for word................lol :D

Check it out:- http://yourlifeinthephilippines.com/

Then click on: VACATION IN DUMAGUETE A CRITICAL REVIEW

enjoy folks.............lol:wink:

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I fixed the link and added the article link to your post. (the original link in the post didn't work for me)

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Pretty much everything that guy says is true. I've learned to ignore it though. It's a price you pay for living in a cheap third world country.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I don't disagree with his review (I only skimmed over it) though he could have been more constructive in his criticism. Tourists who have similar expectations of their vacations would be well served by this review.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    I read his dribble and feel he would not be happy even if he won the powerball loto, got an IRS exempt and woke up each morning with a supermodel.
    Dumaguete can be as good or as bad as you choose to make it, don't let the negativity of 1 stop anyone from visiting the city we call home!!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I have seen or experienced much of what this fellow has seen also. I admire the ingenuity of the Filipinos at times to get around with very economical methods of transportation. I enjoy watching the school children walk home from school, as the wait for a large dump truck or some other means of transportation to go by. The drivers that stop for kids and are are always happy and the kids have smiles on their faces as the climb up on what ever huge truck that stops.... I am not sure this is that bad, as I do not hear of many kidnapping or injuries to kids from the activity. In the US this would never be "allowed" to happen but then again the kids would have walk all the way home, or huge expenses would be occurred for transportation. The ability to travel at low cost is one of the "dumb" techniques the kid (and adults) have mastered here. There is not money available to be spent on transportation here many times by the locals. They have to walk around, like being on a treadmill here, same things my friends do in American after driving to the gym and fighting for the closest parking space.
    Secondly, I think you can find bad in any city, anywhere. Although it does take some mental adaptation to accept everything that goes on in Dumaguete, some say a lifetime to totally adjust, , You can adjust your immediate environment almost immediately if you have legs to walk a couple of hundred meters. When you are on a street with pollution get on another street. When I ride behind a truck belting out smog, I stop the motorcycle sometimes and give the truck a little distance rather than try to anxiously ride closely behind the truck with my face up the exhaust pipe as I cough. It only takes minor adjustments in your location in most places here to find a much better spot to be.
    Dumaguete is not perfect,and it is not hell. You can find the perfect city when your attitude allows you to find it, just as you can find your hell city when your attitude allows you to find it. Dumaguete is neither. Just move around, and adjust and there are some great things about the city to enjoy, just as there are some horrible things to avoid here. It just takes a little time to find the perfect and hellish experiences of this city. Maybe two weeks is too short, and a lifetime is too long to learn the necessary living adjustments for a great life here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I think Wrye nailed it, "a cheap 3rd world country", I would add the word poor as well. Most people who have been to places like Jamaica would quickly choose to retire here than there. Perhaps people who b*tch about living here are actually unhappy with themselves for not planning for and being capable of retiring on a golf course or beach home in Florida or the Gold Coast. Many of the guys here have a pretty and young partner, think they could have that in their home country? Those that sit all day drinking beer on the blvd look pretty content - maybe because they don't have to worry about getting stopped driving while over the limit. Life is not perfect anywhere but maybe those of us who have or are surviving medical problems appreciate it more.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The guy's comments about getting a taxi in Manila was surprising; never had to spend more than 10 minutes in line. I know it is rated as one of the worst but apparently they did not rate the airport in Kabul.

One thing I have seen in my almost 7 straight months here is that we get into a routine, much different than a tourist perspective of a place. Lately we are only going to Dumaguete a couple times a month, it is a nice break to be able to catch a movie and have the different restaurant choices. Everything is what you make of it, Tanjay is a small place with limited options to hang out but I enjoy the simple life so it works well for us.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    How ever after saying all that I must admit my greatest fear is not be assassinated by a tandem motorcycle team but by being shot by a guard in the back for entering the exit or existing the enter lane while texting going into the mall. That is a significant offense here. My second greatest fear is that rusty old shot gun with a 20 year old shell just may explode and kill many people in the mall.

":I am walking out of a department store, I am the only one in the area at the moment, I try to go out the incoming lane (No one else is around) and the guard insist I go out the outgoing lane."

Remember the guards and most of those working in the corporate type establishments here are not taught/required to think or handle situations but only to follow the scrip given to them. Accepting that concept make living, meaning surviving here, a little bit easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    My initial reaction was the same as the guys report, mainly ''shock", I had never experienced a 3rd world Country in person before, however, I have come to accept that is the way it is.:cool: I posted his report up because it was interesting for me to find another guy with the same reaction as myself. :smile:And yes, as others here are saying, the main attraction here is the loving caring women. :wink: I for one got very lucky in that department, and I am very thankful for my Filipina parter, which is the only reason I came here in the first place.:smile:

• Like Like x 4