Dumaguete Info Search

not long left for Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by yabs, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    With the new Robinsons eyesore being built I feel this is the beginning of the end of quaint charming dumaguete. I've heard that the boulevard will be extended but a lot of the old buidlings past bethel will be knocked down
    replaced with bland modern concrete eyesores no doubt
    I've also heard that the boulevard may be extended outwards into the sea
    so i n effect the boulevard will not be waterfront anymore
    it will also mean more trafiic and even bigger growth rate of a once nice place.
    Thats "progress" I guess though meaning that good taste and tranqulity take BACK seat to concrete and commercilaisation.
    Its a veryt stupid descision of the planners to allow this in dumaguete seeing as its the about the only nice philipino town
    nbow it will just be a bland traffic clogged mess like all the rest
    so where now?

2. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I really miss 1872 as well...

But Dumaguete is in great progress and it is great for the city and great for the people of Dumaguete.

It might not be great for people moving here to experience the old quaint Dumaguete, but it is great for the economy and great for the pople trying to make a living here.

We cant keep Dumaguete alive and like a museum at the same time.

Supermarkets and malls are a nessecity if you want to attract investors, money etc. to the city.

I know you would rather have the whole population in poverty so you can enjoy the museum town, but I for one is highly for the vast improvements going on in Dumaguete.

3. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Me too.

Jim

4. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I agree 100% with what the Dane says.

5. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hey, some people like to sh*t in the bushes and pluck chickens before they get to eat dinner.

Different strokes and all that......

Sipalay is kinda "rustic" from what I've seen.

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I 'd like more progress for Dumaguete, more amenities ,more jobs for people too and for the city planners to consider seriously environmental issues alongside development.

7. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    yes more jobs better infrastucture, a shoppimg mall, it will improve the life's of the local people here.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My sentiments, exactly.

I wish Dumaguete stayed the way it was/is, a quiet university town. Who needs a bustling metropolis if Cebu is only a "fastcraft" ride away. But then of course, I should speak solely for myself as there are indeed those who have their own reasons for wanting it otherwise.

I used to cherish the infrequent trips I've made to nearby Cebu, then return to a placid and relaxing atmosphere that once was Dumaguete.

9. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    some fair points but why does "progress" have to involve bland modern concrte eyesores of American style?
    its crap and why we all moved from the west
    if they had the shopping mall in a rustic native style all well and good but it obvioulsy isnt
    as for jobs if people want to work in malkls they can go to cebu or many other places. I would have thought as its a uni town then most would hope to get better jobs than a McJob in a mall.
    If people here are pleased its happening it makes me wonder why they didn't choose to live in cebu in the first place?
    the only good thing here is with the rate of local buidling it will take maybe 5 years to build but for sure once its up it will bring unwanted changes for me and many others.
    people are also short sited if they think malls are a good option for economic progress
    Dumaguete should concentrate on its unique marine environment and its university
    jobs in marine biology and the ;like would be afr better than at a mall

10. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    actually the beginning of the end was Macdonalds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.