Dumaguete Info Search

NPA getting more active in Negros Oriental?

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I read on social media that this following news story is the work of the NPA but I found no official report on that yet:

Police chief, 4 others die in Guihulngan ambush

The chief of police of Guihulngan town in Negros Oriental and four others were killed, while two others were wounded in an ambush staged by armed men in Sitio Mandi-e, Barangay Magsaysay in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental on Friday.

Among those killed during the ambush that happened around 10 a.m. was Supt. Arnel Arpon, chief of police of Guihulngan. The identity of the other victims was still being verified.

A report from the Army’s 79th Infantry Battalion stated that the policemen responded to a call from provincial board member Edison de la Rita of Guihulngan City.

De la Rita claimed that armed men tried to ambush him and his driver while they were a motorcycle toward Barangay Poblacion.

“Immediately, elements of Guihulngan City Police Station went to the area and they were ambushed by armed individuals. Accordingly, five were killed in action and two were wounded,” the report from the military stated.

Police investigators are still conducting follow-up investigation to determine the group and identities of the armed perpetrators. JPV/rga

Police chief, 4 others die in Guihulngan ambush

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Its always been a hotspot for the npa up there. So the reports say 7 cops dead now.

3. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    OMG ... this is terrible! Very concerning.

4. weirsys

weirsys DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

5. weirsys

weirsys DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Canadian senior planning to move to Sibulan by December. How safe is it ? Getting second thoughts. Also does anyone have info on Can. dollars to PP ? Thank you

6. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    OK, someone is gonna move these posts because you are asking two questions in one topic. That tends to push the whole thread off topic and tick off the boss :-)

But first, I am a Canadian senior living in Sibulan and it is currently at least as safe as anywhere else I have lived. I am concerned for the future but the whole world has an uncertain future.

I ship my Canadian dollars from Canadian bank to Philippine bank by Transferwise and last month I got 40 pesos to the dollar. Thats up from the recent past. In the last 2 years its been down as low as 32 and in the 2 years before that it was up as high as 44 so be prepared to be versatile if you are on a fixed low income.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. weirsys

weirsys DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

8. weirsys

weirsys DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you very much for your quick response. Also for the help on my second question. In my case the pros are outweighing the cons. My mind was almost made up anyway. Hopefully on my way to paradise.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bounder

bounder DI New Member Veteran Navy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +18 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Ok, I have traveled the mountain road from Isabela, Negros Occidental to Guihulngan, Negros Oriental at least twice in the past two years. I have never had a problem and all the people I saw were always friendly, especially the second time when I blew a tubeless tire on the Rowser. The local mountain vulcanizer along with citizen input was able to temporarily fix the tire enough for me to get back home. I have traveled extensively into the mountains south and west of Kabankalan down to Bayawan and west from Candoni to Sipalay. Never a problem at any location. In fact the people were quite friendly, if somewhat surprised seeing a foreigner this far into the mountains.

As for the recent shooting by Linaon, Negros Occidental, the foreigners were in the wrong place at the wrong time. That is the long and the short of it. I have since walked that road on my way to Sipalay. I have never encountered any situations apart from curious residents and children. It was a look like, that foreigner must really be poor to be walking.

I will not vouch for the safety of foreigners in Mindanao or perhaps some parts of southern Negros Island (terrorist alerts for ISIS), but like I said in another posting. You don't bother them, they won't bother you.

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The situation with the NPA, Muslims and security in the Philippines is not static. Tactics can change and they won't be giving you a heads up when they do. I have also traveled quite a bit throughout and Philippines and never had a problem...but that is anecdotal and some people are stupid travellers and get themselves in dangerous situations. I have been in spots that I did not feel welcome or safe in, but only because I was aware of my surroundings. What is safe or comfortable for one person might not be for the next.

You say that the foreigners shot were in the wrong place at the wrong time but if there is a chance you can get hit in crossfire between the police and rebels then the are some bigger issues at play then just "luck".

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1