Dumaguete Info Search

Ntc fooled Filipinos to keep broadband standards low

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by DavyL200, Feb 9, 2016.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    If the Philippines is lagging behind our Asian neighbors when it comes to broadband speed connection, we only have the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to blame.

Far from its mandate of promoting consumer welfare, the telecommunications agency has, in fact, intentionally deceived Filipinos by purposely setting broadband standards much, much lower than that set by the NTC-recognized international standards body.

In its Memorandum Circular No. 07-08-2015 issued on Aug. 13, 2015, the NTC said: “Broadband, as defined by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), refers to a data connection speed of at least 256 kbps [kilobits – or thousand of bits – per second].”

Curious as to why the NTC would peg the internet speed in 2015 to that of a 1990s dial-up modem (a.k.a vintage, by today’s standards), we did a quick fact check and here’s what we gathered.

The ITU referred to by the NTC in its circular is an agency of the United Nations (UN) for information and communication technologies (ICTs). It is an international public-private partnership (PPP) organization based in Geneva, Switzerland; with some 193 countries and almost 800 private ICT sector entities (e.g. manufacturers, and telecoms carriers to R&D companies and academic institutions) among its members. It also allocates global radio spectrum and satellite orbits and develops technical standards on ICTs.

More than 12 years before the NTC came out with its circular, the ITU already defined what “broadband” is. NTC fooled Filipinos to keep broadband standards low | The Manila Times Online

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+

I think the ISPs here are just being as cheap as they possibly can.....or complete idiots that don't understand how to run an ISP....or simply don't give a crap about the service they are promising to deliver. (Most likely a little bit of all three of those things.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1
  3. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Something went wrong will repost

4. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    The equipment is capable of much better than I was usually receiving at home in Sibulan which was up to 200kbs after 10 pm or so. One time they screwed up and I started getting 2 MBs so I started downloading some oil well files I had an interest in. I got 6 GB in 2 hours normal load pay as you go 5php per segment.