Dumaguete Info Search

Health & Wellness Nursing and Prescriptions in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by KINGCOLE, Nov 27, 2015.

1. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have yet to discover what the exact function a nurse serves here. When I was in a Dumaguete Hospital for kidney stones, they were unable to give me pain killers for 2 hours until a doctor arrived. They wouldn't assist me at all in using the WC and told me to get my helper to assist me. As I had a catheter in my dearest friend, a drip in my arm on a trolley, I didn't fancy the bayut offering to wipe my backside. Most of the time the nurses appeared to be at their station discussing the celebrities on TV. The system here is different to the west and will only change when the populous stops being so subservient and demands better treatment from the hospitals, after all they are being paid to provide a service. If you ever have the misfortune to spend time in hospital, you will see that you are even charged for toilet tissue. Also, check your drugs on the bill, as they have a habit of charging you for drugs that you provided. I queried my extensive bill and queried that they didn't charge me for the air that I breathed, this was totally lost on them. Sorry if I digress from topic.

hospital.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The Philippines is terrified of opiate addiction and have very strict rules on how that class of drug is handled here. So much so that up until the 1990s the strongest pain killer you could find in the country was motrin, aspirin and non-steroidal drugs. The WHO eventually took the Philippine government to court over the issue and eventually settled for the re-introduction of opiates. The Philippine still wouldn't agree to the WHO's pain ladder though and implemented their own modified version of the pain ladder. (you basically go from motrin to morphine).
    Now all "dangerous drugs" require an S2 prescription. Only physicians that has undergone certain training can administer an S2 prescription. In 2011 only 18% of physicians had the proper license to prescribe and administer an S2 prescription.

Just a bit of FYI on why nurses can't administer certain pain meds here. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My drug of choice was Demerol which is an opioid pain medication.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If the prescription was written on yellow paper it's an S2 prescription.
    Demerol is listed in this 2003 DDB Board Regulation (page 34) as a dangerous drug.

Creating a new thread to keep this one on topic.

5. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
  6. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Unfortunately the Medical system here is similar to the way it was in USA back in 1950's and 1960's. Doctors were gods and nurses were nothing and only did what they were told. In area of USA I'm from that didn't start to change until mid 1970's. Today Nurses in the states (RN's run the wards and dispense all meds) (LPN,LVN do all the dirty work) but Doctors still prescribe meds for patients by law.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Monty44

Monty44 DI Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My wife & I have a friend that he & his girl friend are here in the philippines as medical nurses!! They got their training in arizona, and graduated accept for in class work needed to offset the practical knowledge they got state side!! So since they are filipino, they came here because they get school & book training here, but no hands on training in the hospitals!! They are giving themselves as volunteers to get known to the dr.S on staff, so they can get payed!! Two different worlds!!

Edited by Administrator to remove all caps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  8. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, different world here. There are so many nurse graduates here but no jobs for them and before they can even begin to try to get a job overseas they need 2 years work experience locally. Many are treated as little better than free labor and are being abused as some even have to pay the Hospitals to work for free so they can get their 2 years experience. Little better than slavery/indentured servitude IMPO.

• Agree Agree x 2