Dumaguete Info Search

Nursing homes

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by 2blackbelts, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My wifes parents are elderly, and instead of leaving them in the states when we move in two years, we were going to bring them with us.

Are there any good nursing homes in Dumaguete, or homes with assisted living?

If there are, where are they, and what are the monthly charges if anyone knows?

Any information is appreciated.

2 blackbelts

2. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Well can they not buy a house/ bungalow and have live in care? its better that way, or even family relatives look after them, the family will care for them better.

I have to say though, for them to move and go to live in a place like the phils. it will be a very big culture shock for them, and can they cope with the climate? Its a big "ask" you are making on them, but i see your idea that you can watch over them nearer yourself, its a credit to yourself that you think of them that way, and not be selfish and just leave them.

But if it were me, I would have sleepless nights thinking it through, its not going to be easy for them.

3. OP
    OP
    2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    nursing homes

Some very good points made, and I appreciate your insight.

2 blackbelts

4. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Not really my insight, just trying to put myself in your position, the most important thing is whoever is caring for them can be trusted, and you know they are being looked after well. I do not know anything about medical insurance, but it might be worth looking into a care plan for them, as hospitals and medicine in the phils is very expensive, in fact its a scandal.

you did not say if your parents have been to the phils before, I assume they have not?

5. Bandit

Bandit Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are a few medicines easily obtained in the US that are not available in the Phils. You'd be wise to confirm that whatever medicines they might need are available in PI.

I thought the Phils was known for inexpensive hospitals and medicine PhilT?

6. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1

Bandit..there is only one way for you to find out...get sick, and you will then start to see.

7. Bandit

Bandit Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, everything I heard when I lived there was about how cheap (compared to the US) healthcare costs were. Like Silliman Hospital costing only about $500US for prenatal through post natal care including delivery charges for one American I knew who's wife had 3 children in Dgte.

2blackbelts, are your wife's parents Filipino or American? In many ways, it doesn't matter, but in some ways it might.

Basically there are no assisted living facilities per se (that I know of) in Dgte. Though you could hire someone to watch them at a very low cost.

A few yrs ago there was an expat touting his 'retirement community' up in Mabini, but I wouldn't send my parents up there in the middle of nowhere to live in those small homes.

8. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    2blackbelts, looking after elderly family is one of the amazing filipino culture and traditions ans being practised from generations to generations. My Mom is a retired teacher and currently lives with my sister in Dipolog City. We hired a trustworthy girl to look after my Mom 24/7. As my sister goes to work on weekdays, she's worry-free as Mom's well looked after. This brilliant girl (helper) does everything for her just for a couple of 10s in pounds. And in
    return, we treated this girl as a family too. She sleeps in the same room with Mom and eats the same food, watch together what's on telly.

Our house plan has an "annexe" for my mom to stay with us. And it will be my turn to look after her with TLC, time comes when construction will be materialised soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.