Dumaguete Info Search

Emergency O+ Blood needed

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Siquijor, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Siquijor

Siquijor DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My 5 years old nephew has leukemia and needs urgently blood. He is at Silliman Medical Center. Please contact the mother 0965 1909297 Clarissa Bucol

2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    Check if they will accept O negative as well as that will broaden the search a little (should be okay as long as the donor is cross-matched with the recipient).

Am not able to help but really wish this child well.

3. OP
    OP
    Siquijor

Siquijor DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you, I will tell my sister to ask the doctors.

4. OP
    OP
    Siquijor

Siquijor DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

regrets, unable to help

6. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I might be able to help. Can you put me in touch tomorrow?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    There is an important message sent to you (using the private message system here on this Forum). As you are new here can I inform you that 1) You will receive it at your registered e-mail address BUT cannot reply from there. 2) You will also find it HERE on this site under 'Inbox' next to 'Alerts' on the top line. You can read it there AND reply to it. It concerns a member trying to offer help but not able to contact the child's mother via the phone number you gave (so it may be a good idea to check that and re-post if there is any error with it). The offer of help was sent in error to me and I am passing on the information.

I hope anyone O+ (and maybe O-) reading this thread can offer help to this young child.

8. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Can someone summarize the blood situation here in Dumaguete? There is a Red Cross office in Dumaguete. Do they accept donors? Do they not have blood available? Is it too expensive?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Siquijor

Siquijor DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much!! I contacted the person direct.

10. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    All I know is from seeing a family, late afternoon, in a hospital trying to get blood for their father for that evening. They had been given notice of this requirement very late by the hospital and the local Red Cross had sold their supplies of that Group in the morning!

The difficulty of obtaining blood here in the Philippines (as in some other countries) is of major concern - as is the poor knowledge which seems to plague the medical system. They seem reluctant to use Rhesus negative blood for a Rhesus positive patient and, unless there are other factors I am not aware of, it seems not to make sense. Well, it would make sense if they don't actually cross-match (which means mixing the donor and recipient blood in a test tube for about 2 hours) and if they don't then why not?

My two hospital experiences in the last 10 years involved me waking with an incredibly sore throat in the Philippines hospital from having the air supply tube rammed down my throat - this did not happen at all in the Western hospital I attended. Possibly there were other reasons for it, but it sure has put me off.

On a more serious aspect, many here have had major operations and are okay - but if you need serious medical care then go back West if you can or go to Manila or Cebu. Some hospitals here are staffed by 'apparent' amateurs.