Dumaguete Info Search

Obesity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Jack Peterson, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Not sure if it is just me but on my Dog walking trips around my Barangay I have noticed that the Kids of all ages are most definitely putting on weight especially younger Kids. It is probably not a topic that can be discussed But with all the talk of Some poverty due to lack of Cash ( Due I am told No work) well it does seem to me that whatever cash is available is going on Feeding the Family but I wonder if it the right sort of Of Food because "Obesity" seems to be creeping in again especially with Kids of all ages :pompus:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Rice overload..

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You can easily go over your maintenance calories with extremely cheap food, especially children that don't do much in the way of physical activities these days. Rice is 200 calories per cup. Most cooking oils are 120 calories per tablespoon. Fat is 9 calories per gram (the locals tend to not trim the fat off their pork). Sugar, 4 calories per gram, gets loaded into most meals that locals prepare (and most soft drinks have over 30 grams of it per serving). You can get very fat very quickly on a very small budget here. Eating a healthy and balanced diet is a much more expensive endeavor in most of the world, including here.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    This is something I've been touting at every possible opportunity since kids have been locked down. Our son went from playing football (soccer!) 5 days per week to virtually zero exercise overnight. His diet has not changed significantly, but as he's around the house all day there's the obvious temptation to raid the fridge for cola, snack on biscuits etc.

There will be future consequences on health for this extended and unnecessary lockdown of kids, but of course, the politicians will be able to just brush it under the carpet. Their thinking unfortunately does not extend beyond having a long list of anti-Covid restrictions.

The only kids you will see out on the streets at the moment are the beggars, car park loiterers, shopping trolley returners and sitting at roadside vendors'. None of these wear masks and they are never moved on, or their parents (assuming they are traceable) taken to task.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    Being obese here is generally not considered unhealthy at least not until someone has a heart attack or stroke. Then all a sudden everyone saw it coming.
    There was a comercial on TV for cheese showing a morbidly obese 10 year old stuffing his chubby little cheeks. They were trying to put forward cheese as a healthy life style. If that were my kid he would be on a diet of air and water.
    Personally I think I could lose about 10 kilos. My wife says if I if I drop the weight she will be embarrassed because people will start saying she doesn't know how to cook for me.
    It's mostly perception here as to what is considered over weight.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Very true. My Mrs is similar, although 10 years or so in UK has changed her attitude a bit. It's quite typical of a developing economy and society where millions are coming out of poverty and suddenly have enough money to eat a lot, whether it be the right or wrong type of food being largely irrelevant. It's a kind of status symbol to have kids with plenty of meat on their bones, like the 4x4 in the driveway etc. I knew lots of Filipino families in the UK with the same attitudes.

I look at most of my wife's relatives and they are mostly rake thin. Why, because their diet is basically rice, fish and vegetables, supplemented by the occasional bottle of Red Horse, and their work is mostly physical. However, I can see that changing over time too. When they stay with us, three full meals with rice is the norm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I went from 86kg to 72kg in about one year.

I was not obsessed about my weight but wanted to reduce it a bit. My exercise routine was zilch! I just checked my food intake for calories and stuck to about 1400 per day. Now I do it intuitively.

I am not intending to go anorexic so am now getting back up to about 74/75 - which I think is about right for me.

My asawa started before me and has lost about 1kg - as they say, Filipinos don't get it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I went from 105kg @ 25% body fat (from when decided to lose weight and I got on a scale for the first time in probably a decade, my heaviest was likely around 110-115kg) to around 70kg @ ~7% body fat in less than a year while in Afghanistan. (Although, I will admit I was competition lean without much muscle mass. The average person from any country may be taken back when they can see every muscle fiber on a person.)

When I came back here the comments I got were downright offensive and disrespectful. They thought I was dying from some deadly disease or had been horribly addicted to meth, it did not change any opinions when I told them that I was extremely strict with my diet, in the gym 7 days a week and walking 15-20km/day (and had extensive knowledge, notes, data and an article about me on the men's health website to prove it). Some even commented that they thought I used to look "buff" when I was extremely obese and suggested I go back to that. I never took it personal though, their opinions were coming from a place of ignorance.

I think this idea that obesity=healthy stems from the country reducing the number of people living in poverty and the introduction of cheap calories in the past several decades. They just don't know any better...though many will be learning through huge medical bills and early deaths in the very near future. I believe many Western civilizations have went through this exact thing before (glorification of obesity...which is not the same as the dereistic thinking of today). The government will likely step in and push nutritional/exercise classes in schools and PSAs, I could even see them adding junk foods under the "sin tax" (gluttony is a sin, right?), once it gets completely out of hand and hospitals start complaining to politicians about not getting paid.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    After having been coming and going here since the 70's, I noticed the obesity in children and the proliferation of the fast food market. As the fast food became more available, so did the little chubby children.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, as is pride

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1