Dumaguete Info Search

Office staffing in the PI

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Pedro, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I notice a lot of posts concerning insurance and medical service and even some other industries and the main concern is bad service. I may have a perspective on that. Before we were married my wife worked for one of the major life insurance companies based in Cebu. In the six months or so that se "worked" for them she was never given a salary, she was given expense money and told to accumulate points for a future salary(commission).

She is the one who solely brought the company to Dumaguete. She set up the office, hired staff, and trained new insurance agents. Even the "secretary" that was brought in had a salary while my wife did not. I can't blame her for finally quiting. I would have after the first week. Apparently it is this promise of income that keeps many Philippino staff in place but that is a fragile existance for sure. No wonder graft and indifferance predominate in the work force. Maybe others have similar experiences to share. All I can say is that is a sad way to do business. May the buyer beware!

2. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Name them!

What are you shy about, Pedro? Name the company that took advantage of your wife? If we are all shy about it, they have no reason to stop!

3. OP
    OP
    Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    The purpose of this post was not to put the spotlight on a single company but rather to point out that it is that type of business conduct that goes on behind the scenes that results in poor service and acceptance of graft or bribery being a normal or even accepted mode of operation in the Philippines.

While my wife may have been taken advantage of, it is the fact that this is a routine management tactic, applicable to many industries, which is the point I am trying to make.

Also I would never put my family at risk while I am not present to defend them, so for now names are not necessary. I believe in karma and that those who do wrong get a special reward reserved just for them, no assistance needed. I was actually hoping we could get more insight to how business minds think in the PI and how it contrasts with our own westernized expectations of business conduct.

4. KAYLEIGH

KAYLEIGH DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tell your wife to go the media people, abs-cbn in dgte, or bandilyo am radio station.
    If she knows herself that she's doing right & working hard in this company then there's nothing to worry about, no need to be scared.
    Fight for your right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.