Dumaguete Info Search

OFWs Permanently Banned From Working in Kuwait

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Rye83, May 3, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think that this will just lead to people being hired through the black market. Filipinos are banned from working in Afghanistan but I know they are out here. Companies used to avoid the rules by sending Filipinos to Dubai, snatching their passports from them and then flying them into a military base to avoid immigration. I'm not sure how they pull it off now that everyone needs a work visa but I know they are still out here working.

As long as Filipinos are willing to go to Kuwait (which should be avoided at all costs IMO) people will find a way to go work there. I think keeping it legal will lead to less abuses. If something happens to a Filipino in Kuwait now they will fear coming forward as they are there illegally. However, Kuwait does hold some of the blame; they need to drop their more extreme Sharia Law BS. That nonsense is not acceptable in the modern world.

I'm also not a fan of governments telling people where they can and cannot work. It's hard enough for Filipinos to get out of the country just for a vacation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Do you think Sharia Law is the issue or the personality of the employer. I agree it's an extreme religion, but is it the cause of the abuse? In other words, is the abuse worse because of the religion, the culture or the person? Is an OFW in HK for example, equally likely to be abused as an OFW in Kuwait? It could be that there is an equal amount of abuse, but it is worse in countries like Kuwait because religion can be used to justify it. It could also be that the protections aren't in place there, so abusers feel empowered to abuse.

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They go hand in hand.

Religion is their culture, the culture influences the person's behavior. Their women are nothing more than property to them...how do you think they view a female helper from a foreign country? They hold dogs in higher regard.

There are less extreme places to go work - those that have a more "liberal" view towards religion - such as UAE (Dubai...Abu Dhabi to a lessor extent), Qatar, Turkey (this is changing quickly), etc. You still want to be careful and know your place in those countries but at least they usually give you some respect and treat you like a human. Kuwait may seem similar to these places on the surface but I assure you they are nowhere near as "liberal" as the ones mentioned.

I would say an OFW is less likely to be abused in HK. Sure it happens there, but I suspect the chances are much higher in Kuwait.

Note: Where I think it gets really dangerous for any OFW is when they overstay their visa. When that happens they are much more likely to be employed by people/companies that don't care much about following laws.

Religion is not just an excuse.....it is the law in Kuwait. Sharia Law is on a spectrum....and Kuwait's version of it is one of the most extreme. They are right up their with Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I was saddened a few years ago to read of a young Filipina OFW in Saudi Arabia being beheaded because a baby in her care died. I don't know the details of the case but perhaps it was 'sudden death syndrome' (cot death) or a parent - but the young defenceless 'child' is the scapegoat they can behead and send back to her family in two pieces.

I pray for the day these hard-working, vulnerable, people can avoid going to certain countries which, as said earlier, treats them worst than dogs are treated.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My wife's sister work's in Kuwait, she seems to be okay and her friends they send lots of vids and photos of them enjoying Karaoke via Facebook.

They must have got lucky with their bosses, no problems, no harassment just good fun. They work hard and their bosses give them paid annual leave every year.

Not saying everyone in Kuwait is that lucky but. So is Duterte ordering all Filipinos to report back to the Philippines?

• Like Like x 4