Dumaguete Info Search

Any NEW Movies Seen lately OR Old Cool Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My gf thinks Airplane! was the funniest movie ever produced (that literal "drinking problem" skit had her rolling). The Naked Gun a close second. Leslie Nielsen seems to really know how to tickle the Filipino funny bone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    My Filipina wife feels exactly the same way about those movies! Maybe they specially appeal to the filipino sense of humor. Also, she thinks the 3 stooges have the funniest comedy shows known to man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. mangoman

mangoman DI Junior Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +125 / 4
    agree... my favorite western too!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    ok you peaked my curiosity as I have not seen Airplane in decades.... so I looked at a youtube funniest clips ... LOL

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm thinking Abbott and Costello would get plenty of laughs as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Westerns, I'll go for Paint Your Wagon.

7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    I have been within a group of Filipino students (speaking English thankfully) laughing uncontrollably about things I just did not get. There must be studies on humour which explain the evolution of this in different societies.

My asawa likes the amateur videos shown on TV where people have accidents (some staged - they pay cash!) - whereas I wince at their pain, she laughs. Possibly it is to do with levels of humour.

I found a joke by Harry Hill "This is not my real ladder, it is my step-ladder" to be amusing but many I told it to just don't get it. One person told me it was stupid.

The 'man in the bar with a crocodile' is probably my favourite, followed by the 'zig-zag skiers' which is a bit non-PC I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    LOL, yep, and the asawa also likes the old Little Rascals short features. Shirley Temple movies also a big hit with her, as well as some of the old favorites like "The Sound of Music" and "My Fair Lady".

• Like Like x 1
  9. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Two of my favorites, Sean Connery as James Bond in "Goldfinger" and "You Only Live Twice".
    Still have memories of my dad taking me to see the first, and seeing the second a couple of years later with grammar school pals.
    One classic line in "You Only Live Twice" was later turned into a gag line in "Austin Powers", which paid homage to the Bond films.
    "You Only Live Twice": "In Japan, women come second"
    "Austin Powers": "In Japan, women come second...or sometimes, not at all" :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. mangoman

mangoman DI Junior Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +125 / 4
    i agree there are some forms of societal humor my wife does not understand... especially if she is required to understand an idiom or pun (from another culture) used in telling a joke... but there are forms of humor that we both enjoy... one is "social transgression humor" commonly found in "Mr. Bean" comedy sketches... and "real life situational humor" found in hidden camera reality television shows like "Just for Laughs"... both of these types of humor are cross-cultural and get my wife and i rolling in laughter together.

• Like Like x 2