Dumaguete Info Search

On driving, and "saving face"

Discussion in 'DI Front End Pages' started by Wildlands1, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Wildlands1

Wildlands1 DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +133 / 27
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Driving. Our favorite topic here to b*tch about. It boggles the mind every time we leave the house, right? How can people really be so stupid? An expat once told me it's partly about "face", and "saving face", a totally alien (to us) Asian concept. He said that if a local looks, and makes eye contact with you, before pulling out right in front of you, that he will then "lose face" by having yielded to your right-of-way. Hmm?
    This past year I have made many motorcycle trip around parts of Indonesia, where the driver's are about the same...suicidal lunatics with their children balenced helmetless on the gas tanks. Indonesia's average IQ is just a notch higher than The Fils, (86 vs. 87) and they have just a step up in PPP.
    Now we are in Borneo Malaysia on a moto ride. The people here drive like westerners. They follow international road rules. They look, make eye contact, yield, stop at lights, respect the painted lines, etc.. Malaysia's IQ average (google) is a jump up, as is their PPP, from both the PH and Indo.

So what is it about some countries that people can't drive like normal humans? Malaysia has the same "save face" stuff in their culture, so does the Fil's, and Indo, and Tland, etc.. Is it IQ? Or education? It can't be wealth, because the rich Filipino's are the worst culprits of all. Why, God, Why?? Chime in, Boys. (and like our FB page)