Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education On Schools

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by MikeB, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MikeB

MikeB DI Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 8
    Hi all, I have read through the various threads on this subject and thought I would start a new one because some of the info is old and some of the posts confusing; it's not clear what schools are being discussed in some cases.

We are looking for pre-k on and will be coming to Dumaguete probably week after next to look at a few schools. Right now I have One International, Silliman, and probably Divine Grace. One International may be too expensive for the lower grades, we'll see. If anyone who has children currently attending these or any other schools around the area could give an appraisal or recommendation I would greatly appreciate it. Academics, not religion, is my main criteria. Thanks.

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We used sbclci private school in bacong for our child for the lower grades, eg nursery and k1-k2. Very nice small class sizes and our child came out with good grades.
    (Shrine bacong Christian learning center)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,749 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    We sent our son to ABC originally but transferred him to another private school last year so he could attend the same school his cousin was attending (HS). We were not pleased with how it turned out so he is going back to ABC this year (and attending summer school there now). We are in Tanjay, not Dumaguete but have seen kids in the school uniforms there so I assume there is an ABC school in Dumaguete.

Shawn

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :thumbsup: Like so many things Mike, it will depend on the area you choose to live, There are quite a few, those with children of the same age can and will no doubt give information, but for me location is the key, Dumaguete can be a Pig to get across at certain times of the day so a North school may not be the best option if you live in the south District and of course visa versa

JMHO

JP :bag: :wink:

Just as an addition to Shawn's post there is an ABC in the North District.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    MikeB

MikeB DI Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 8
    Thanks for the info guys, the problem is getting any information at all about these places; only a couple have actual web sites the rest have FB pages which are useless for what I need to know. I couldn't even find an address or phone # for this ABC Learning but I see it on the map. I'm leaning toward taking him back to the US for many reasons but we will still check Duma out. I have another question but I'll start a new thread for that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    I am only familiar with St. Louis Don Bosco. My step-daughter graduated from there.
    There academics seem to be fairly good. Her maths seemed to be pretty much on par with Canadian schools, they did the usual algerbra, bases/logs, some functions and relations and no calculus as far as I could see.
    Science, no comment.
    Her English was very good, she read and writes better than me (which really is not that much of an accomplishment).
    The schools is rather strict, every day she had a diary of what was done in class. If there were any derogatory remarks from a teacher such as being late or absent the parent had to sign the book.
    Religion is a part of the school but it is not too serious. When I first arrived here she said grace at dinner and punctuated her "pray" with a fist jab in the air and "Yea", I laughed like hell.
    The do run buses for the school to some area. You would need to contact them for details.
    The cost is probably reasonable as many of the students are from fairly ordinary family's.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We are presently looking at this school in Valencia, have not met with the owner yet but she did answer my mail and ring me yesterday.
    It's a new school and as it says it will be small class sizes, next week we will visit.
    Tuition fees are very reasonable also at p8,500 yr excluding books and a few extras.
    image.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    We have our kids in SIMON (Negros Oriental Montessori International School). It's located close to the airport. Small classes. Nice atmosphere among the kids. Big school yard in nice and quiet area.
    If you go from the city on the north highway you take the last turn left before you get to the city boarder.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    As a family of devout athiests we like SIMON for excusing our child and like classmates from sect-ual activities. It's not a board-ing school, why didn't they think of that? :angelic:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    MikeB

MikeB DI Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 8