Dumaguete Info Search

Question Optional German Language on Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Rye83, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I know not all members here are native English speakers and I get a lot of questions about how to use features on the forum. It is possible to have all the native buttons/links/basic features/many modifications translated into German. I do already have two other languages installed on the forum (Nederlands and Norsk) but they only cover the basic forum features or a couple modifications. The German language packs available, on the other hand, have translations done for almost every modification that's on the forum.

If some of you native German speakers would prefer to see all the buttons/instructions in German that can be done......but I would need some help from someone that speaks German since these language packs are hosted on a German forum and they cannot be downloaded until I follow some instructions that are written in German. (I would have already installed the language packs if I knew what I needed to do to get my hands on the translation files.)

If you think it would help you, or you would just prefer to see the forum in German (minus the user submitted content) then let me know and I can get it installed.

FYI: The language options are at the bottom left of the page. Just click on "English (US)" in the footer and you will get the other language options already installed.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Seems strange to ask for German language pack when all the content in the site is still English. If you are going to go that route, then you might as well add a German section to the forum as well.

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I have not met many Germans that don't speak better English than an I do, same with the Dutch and the Norwegians.
    For me I think it will lead to a possible us and them situation if the Posts are in German and any other language.

JMHO

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    What? No English UK? If I am remembering correctly, German schools teach UK English so these fellows might be better off if there is an option for UK English
    upload_2016-1-28_11-24-51.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Some people are more comfortable with controls in their native language. Many primarily English websites offer this even though their primary content is in English. It could also be used to help those that do not speak English well by putting a language banner under those people who have German selected as the forum language. If someone doesn't understand a post but wants the information they could use the private conversation feature to contact someone who could explain in German the answer given in English on the forum. The German translations are free and would only take a couple minutes to install on the forum. If it is not going to help anyone then I won't waste the time.

I can't really see a German section for the forum because I don't speak German and moderating such a place would be next to impossible.

The forum software has also been extensively translated into French.....but whoever did those translations thinks their time is worth a lot of money (about the cost of the forum software itself). lol
    I agree. I just uploaded the two languages to learn how it was done. I didn't think those two would really help anyone out....which is why I didn't even mention that I had installed them. I also wanted to see how Google would index the site with additional languages installed.

Nah. Posts in other languages (except Filipino languages/dialects in the Pinoy Ako forum) would be removed before that had a chance to develop. :wink:

Oddly enough the forum software is actually developed in the UK. I have no idea why they put English US as the standard language. :bucktooth:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Nutz2U2

Nutz2U2 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    Hi Everyone,

I believe no additional language packs are required. I am born and grew up (till 13) in Germany, started speaking / learning english at under 10. It is a general subject and recognized as being the best second language to learn.

Arrived in Ozz at age 14 - spoke "better" english than most aussies (regardless of age). Have slipped a lot this then - added all those special Ozz words to the language.

English is the International Language. I believe additional language options will confuse the great flow of information available given by all members to all members.

My 2cents worth.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Lol Turns out it was questioned on the xenforo forum:
    Screenshot_20160129-162156.png

And the answer as to why it is in American (aka "Correct" :wink:) English is:
    Screenshot_20160129-162233.png

'Muricah!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I don't mind US English in the slightest. I just don't like being told by the spellchecker that I am wrong when I write a cheque or go out for a pint of draught or tell you what my favorite colour is. It would be so nice if there was a combined language option that recognizes how certain words or phrases are just fine and not in need of correction.

Such is my pet peeve today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nutz2U2

Nutz2U2 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    spelling is a little different at the weirdest of times (color - colour), but either UK / US is fine ............