Dumaguete Info Search

Options To Live In The Philippines......

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Sandcastle, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandcastle

Sandcastle DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would appreciate assistance in the form of comments and/or advice from foreign nationals regarding permanent residency in the Philippines.

I am aware of the Philippine Retirement Program, or SRRV (Special Resident Retiree's Visa)

What are my other available options?

I would prefer to put title of any properties in my (future) wife's name and continue to use other accounts outside of the Philippines.

Is it fair to say that HSBC is the bank of choice for foreign nationals within the Philippines?

All constructive comments would sincerely be appreciated and valued.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

:smile: Sandcastle :smile:

2. Sumisid

Sumisid DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just want to warn you about PRA's Retirement Visa. Once you want that deposit you made back, they give you a REALLY hard time. They invent all kinds of obligations or happen "just to change their policy". For us, that meant we had to fight for half a year to get our money out to set up our corporation.

3. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    if you marry a filipina and enter the country with her you have an automatic 1 year balikbayan visa - catch a budget flight to hong kong or palau once a year and avoid all the beaurocracy

4. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi Cebudiver. Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't know that a foreign national gets an automatic 1 year balikbayan visa if he/she is married to a Filipina. Anything else you can give us tips on? We would want to retire in Dumaguete in the future and it's nice to get some suggestions on how to go about it:smile: Thanks in advance.

5. OP
    OP
    Sandcastle

Sandcastle DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Sumisid and Cebudiver......

The Balikbayan free visa is intended for former Philippine citizens. My girlfriend lives in Bohol and we would be married and live in the Philippines.

I have heard about problems with SRRV . Are there any foreign nationals living in the Philippines with a Philippine Permanent Resident Card....on this board? If so, please explain more about your situation. Thank you.

I'm only 42 but here is a cute one......

Seniors are valuable.... Silver in our hair, gold in our teeth, stones in our kidneys, lead in our feet, and we are loaded with gas!

Kind regards,

6. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    options to live...

We have already started our house N. of Zambo, and will be moving over permanently in about two years, once my daughter finishes high school.

All three of us will have to do the same, take a cheap flight out of the country yearly to renew or Visa, or at least that is what we are told. Any other suggestions are helpful.

The best,
    2blackbelts

7. OP
    OP
    Sandcastle

Sandcastle DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    2blackbelts Outstanding Character

I have been reading your posts 2blackbelts and I am impressed with your character. (MacDonalds, family, ethics, individuality, etc...)

I wish you and your family much happiness and good health.

Kind regards,

8. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    if you are not a balikbayan yourself and you want to get the balikbayan stamp you have to enter with your balikbayan spouse - i come in with my wife and get the 1 year stamp but if I leave the country and come back in by myself anytime during that year I void the 1 year visa and enter with a 21 day one - which I would have to pay to extend every 59 days up to one year

9. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    for cebudiver...

Cebudiver, I have another question for you. Since technically, you're still an American citizen but lives and works overseas, how do you go about filing taxes? Do you still have to file them or not anymore?

10. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am interested to hear this as well. I am thinking about living in PI and also a US citizen. Taxes are on my mind, especially if I can use it to be exempt or reduce taxes.

Here is something I came across, but I would still love to hear from people that are actually live out of the US and deal with the tax issues.

Frequently Asked Questions - 13. Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

A small part from the page above:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.