Dumaguete Info Search

Health & Wellness Our birth experience at Silliman Medical Center

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by danbandanna, Sep 28, 2017.

1. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just returned from our 3 day experience at Silliman Medical and thought I would share my observations with those of you who are interested. Just to add that Jonie underwent a Cesarean birth so this will reflect in the stress, and costs noted here. I would also add that this was the first baby for both of us as I spent my life pursuing other opportunities and having a child simply did not fit in my plans... So we both were novices but had the support of her mother and our Ya Ya who I must add is a godsend... I will list my Pros and Cons as I see them so be advised these are just my observations... :smile:

Pros
    1. Support staff on the OB second floor to include the Nurses, and duty Physicians were nothing short of excellent. Friendly, supportive at all times which was a blessing as I can be a handful when it comes to supporting those I love.. 5 stars !!

2. Room is large enough for patient and 1 support person to sleep over, and can handle several guests at a time without being crowded. TV is modern and cable is good for those who wish to watch. The CR is large with heated shower. Split Air Con is very good and it is easy to chill the room to anyone's preference.

3. Food is hospital food so enough said, there is a coffee shop on the second floor with good coffee and all day breakfast. I did not go to the cafeteria so cannot comment but there is a 7-11 across the street with most anything you might have forgotten in the rush to the hospital

Cons
    1. Bring your own toilet tissue, wipes, soap, pillows, blankets and extra chairs as is only one chair in the room and comfort is not its high point.
    2. The building is undergoing renovations so there is some noise during the day and there is only one elevator working when we were there so be prepared for some delay when using.
    3. Parking is non existent so arrange to be dropped off but we had our car so I parked a block away and was able to find parking in front after 6 pm... results vary so if you are lucky enough to snag a spot then plan to stay until you check out.

My costs for the 3 day stay which included a private room, operating room, doctors fee, labs and pharmacy totaled 108,270.86. I was fortunate to snag 3 years of Phil Health for 7500 before costs went up and they paid 19000 so total was 89,000 plus.
    I consider this worth every peso..

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Congrats Guys, and very informative! I honestly thought it would have been double what you stated, but I am sure your new arrival was worth every peso and more! :wink: :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Congrats on your newborn child.
    The doctor probably told you/your wife, but I'll take the opportunity and suggest that you forbid your wife to take care of anything but herself and the baby for a minimum of 4 weeks. A ceasarian is not a "piece of cake" in terms of recovery. The lady needs to be careful, and especially not do any lifting for at least a month or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Congratulations on your new arrival! I would only add for anyone interested that we had a similar experience, albeit with normal delivery, at Holy Child a couple of years ago. Accommodation not as nice as Silliman but treatment and service excellent!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Do you remember approximate price?

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    My wife had a Caesarian at Siliman 6 years ago, similar positive experience. Cost wa a little over 100,000p, fortunately, Philhealth paid about 40% back then.
    Congratulations. I’m sure your child will ring you as much joy as ours has.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks and yes any lifting here in my house is Bana duty .... she is recovering very well though LOL

• Like Like x 1
  8. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Around 24,000 all in Steve. That was 3 days in private room with OB/Gyn fees included. Normal birth but had to be induced.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. jhodg

jhodg DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Would like to ask if you as a father allowed in delivery area or in operating room? I called them before 2014 as I planned to gave birth there instead of cebu. First they said it's allowed and when I called again before travelling to dumaguete they took it back and says no... Its not allowed anymore. So I wonder what is the real deal there???

10. OP
    OP
    danbandanna

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Was not allowed in the Operating Room and had no problem with that, but was told I could be in the delivery room (as we had planned) as long as we were the only delivery occurring.