Dumaguete Info Search

Partner is separated in fact

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Anonymous, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous DI Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 12
    Hi guys,im a filipina and currently living with my retired american partner. We have a 2year old daughter. We are not married yet. He's been a good father to our child and been very supportive of all our needs…even helping out my family as well…i love him and he loves me too,i couldnt ask for more. But sometimes im also wonder how it feels to get married. At the start of our relationshp i learned that he was divorced and that he had one son back in the U.S. ,but recently i found out that he got married the second tym to another girl in U.S. back in early 2000's…and just recently i found an old id of him,stating that his status is separated in fact contrary to what i beleive is divorce. Now i just wana ask what does it realy?is it a legal separation. Can we be married legally if ever we decided to Or he ask me to marry him.?i just wana make it wouldnt be a hindrance in the future. Thank u. I hope someone here could answer me

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    We cannot be sure, but since he is not with that wife it probably is a legal separation. In many countries it is customary to get a legal separation for a number of months or years prior to getting an actual divorce. Sometimes there is a reason why a person does not finalize the divorce, such as financial reasons, but often it is just that there is no reason or advantage to hurry up the divorce.

The real answer can be found by asking your partner. It surely would not stop him from marrying you if he put his mind to it and completed the divorce procedure. Its possible he has already done that and did not mention it. It is not a big hindrance to your future plans provided you both really want to do what is required to marry. That's all up to the two of you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Anonymous

Anonymous DI Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 12
    Thank u. I know that hes got divorce with the first wife. Cause ive seen the divorce papers, he got that coz its one of the requirments for the application of our daughter's u.s citizenshp. However its just months ago when i found out about hs second marriage. And upon learning that he is just separated in fact had me wonder if its legal. Maybe the reason why he could not marry me is because it isnt legal. Meaning he couldnt marry unless its finalized into divorce. He told me before that he didnt hav any good experience with divorce and its pretty expensive. I just dont have the courage to ask him about it right nw,maybe someday i will. Anyways thank u for your reply. Me and my partner has a very big age gap,and im never been married before and doesnt have that much knowledge abt separation rules n proceedngs,i mean whats legal n whats not.

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Age gaps are common. Being shy about prying into your partner's business is normal. But the only way to find out is to ask questions. If you tell him you are asking questions here he will say: "Why are you telling the whole world our business"?

But you are asking anonymously so that is good. However, if you are not shy to ask us about it then you need to not be shy about asking him about it.

Maybe you can talk with him and mutual friends. It is important that you know what your daughter's status is as far as citizenship and support from the father. It is your right to know. But ask politely. I suggest talking it over with mutual friends as they can help keep the conversation informative and not argumentative BUT only if you partner agrees to talk about it.

If he loves you he will want you to set your mind at ease, if not then better to find out. Ask him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    only your partner can amswer these questions. has he done the crba for teh child at the embassy? his legal status will be in that paperwork. if not, that is his obligation, to make sure the child gets us citizenship.

6. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    In the U.S. family law and marriage matters are different from state to state. If we know his state, someone can easily look up the law on separation (if that is legal) and divorce. If we know his city, perhaps we can check for a divorce court case. You might also look at your child's U.S. citizenship papers. They will say truly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hiding the fact he was married a second time (or never mentioning it) is not a good sign. I know a private investigator in the Philippines....but if you are willing to go that route you might as well just end the relationship. 9 times out of 10 you are going to find something you won't be able to deal with.

Get your CRBA paperwork finished before you do anything or ask any more questions. Getting that done with an unwilling parent is a major pain in the @ss. I just went through this with my gf and her kid with a completely worthless American - "Marv Butson" on Facebook. You don't want to deal with a POS like that. After you have your kids passport and SSN in hand then you can start asking the hard questions.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1