Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion PEOPLE REFORM

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I was going to reply to the LAND REFORM thread but I did not want people going off on me for being off topic so I started this one:

People reform is what is needed. People here will cross the street to pee on their neighbor's fence or throw trash across the street so its in front of their neighbors house, but the neighbor will do the same thing right back and both will think "that's the other guy's mess, I'm not cleaning it up"

I called out one of my neighbors for this early on. I found fresh pee on my gate back when the subdivision was new so the only other people on my street lived across from me. So I walked across the street and loudly, to my gf while standing under the neighbor's open window, "I wonder who is peeing on my gate when the only ones here are you and me and these neighbors? Is it the polite thing to do in Philippine culture to pee on your neighbor's fence?"

I haven't caught anyone peeing on it since then.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by AlwaysRt, Apr 25, 2017 (4 points)
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    thumbs-up-homer.png It really is the Best way, name and shame works wonders whichever way you interpret it

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Perhaps, but then again....who do they need to reform for? Do pigs complain when they are rolling around in their own sh*t? If Filipinos/Asians are enjoying rolling around in their own "culture" then who are we to tell them not to? We (Westerners) enjoy rolling around in our own "culture" just as much as they do and, sometimes, even demand it be imported to the Philippines.

Personally, I get a bit tired of tiptoeing around the stink nuggets after about a year or two and need to take a break in another country before I go crazy. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    So why do you think the neighbor was doing that?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Guilty admission coming: They do it because it is the way they have always done it. There have been times when I used to sit at a sari sari store with beer drinking tables in front and I got a little drunk. I needed to pee. I watched what the others do. They got up, walked across the street and pissed on the neighbor's wall. So when I needed to pee I did what everyone else was doing.

So until people who set examples change (and I mean respected filipino society leaders) then the people themselves ain't gonna change. What was needed, at a MINIMUM, was an enforced law that the guy who was selling beer have a fence on his OWN yard that is designated "pee here, on MY property". But good luck with that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Another silly question. How about a restroom on his property? Nothing fancy, more along the line of a porta-john, maybe a hole in the ground with a seat on top of it. :wideyed:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :hilarious: Whilst very funny, it would alter his premises Status. Prices up and back to square one. I just asked my Local sori owner and he tells me that he is not even supposed to have any tables outside ( he doesn't but will give you a stool to sit on if you ask nicely) as people are not supposed to drink on his premises. He would need a Licence NAH! I think the wall opposite stands where it is for a Reason :smuggrin:

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Best Answer
    I wonder if the would continue 'paying their water bill' on the neighbor's wall if he had a mural of Mother Mary... painted on it. What has priority, having to pee on his wall or respecting their faith. hmmmm
    (not an original idea of mine, read it somewhere a few months back)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  10. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Well there you have it, the guy across the street built it for his neighbor. Now the 64 million dollar question, does the neighbor need to get a license.

How about using an open sewer or a designated tree. Better yet, plant the tree in sewer channel and build a wall around it. :smuggrin:

11. tis me

tis me DI Member

Ratings:
    +196 / 45
    And that really is a silly question.

• Like Like x 4