Dumaguete Info Search

Philippines misses it's tourist target yet again

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Mar 29, 2016.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The department of tourism will fall short of the expected 10 million foreign tourist arrivals this year by five million, although the country gained more revenues from a lesser number of foreign tourist arrivals, according to Department of Tourism Secretary Ramon Jimenez.

The Tourism secretary made the disclosure when his agency sought congressional approval of the agency’s proposed P3.6 billion budget for 2016.

Jimenez said there were 4.8 million foreign tourists who visited the country from January to June 2015, while domestic tourist arrivals reached 54 million. And while the agency expects an upward trend, Jimenez conceded that the peak figure for foreign tourist arrivals could only reach five million.

“I take personal responsibility for my optimism [of putting the target at 10 million], but the foreign tourist arrivals is not the sole determinant of success. We also have to look at the products of these arrivals: the revenue and the employment that we generate,” Jimenez said in response to the inquiry of Rep. Lito Atienza of Buhay Hayaang Yumabong party-list on why the Tourism agency missed its target so bad. PH falls short of foreign tourist arrivals target by five million | The Manila Times Online

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. MIDNITERIDER

MIDNITERIDER DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 3
    Be honest. With the internationally known "world's worst airport" for years on end and then the bullet scam what do you expect? Remember China declared the Phils "unsafe for tourism" after the botched hostage crisis (caused by their own cop) and the time that we went to Boracay you could see it as almost a ghost town without the Chinese; the Koreans were the only foreigners I saw at all. I don't see many Western tourists around right now on Mactan either maybe it's just the "shoulder season."
    U.S. Embassy warnings on the Phils are also regularly issued mainly concerning Mindanao etc.
    So the only real reason for anyone coming here has to be (don't BS the bullchitter either !):
    AND THE WINNER IS | The Manila Times Online

3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Since tourism goal has missed by 50%, I guess that means they have grown closed? Is that what you are trying to say?

Women are one reason. Climate is another reason. Cost of living. A sense of personal freedom is another reason. I enjoy riding around without a seat belt in my jeep. I rode a motorcycle around Mindoro without a helmet. I had a guy at the PNP actually tell me I could drive my Toyota around without registration as long as I was "careful". I like chicken adobo and chicken curry. Watermelon is about the same cost as in the US but sometimes I get the best mango I have ever had for free. I took more pictures in the last year than I have in the preceding 48 years. I saw a different woman about every 3 months. One at a time because I am not averse to finding a wife. One, her mother threw at me and another wanted to move in with me but I wouldn't let her.

People tend to project their reasons on to other people. I usually don't care as I am not running anyone else's life. Do please keep your beer cans in your own yard though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    See a trend here? Looks similar to that of the LTO thread.

Politicians pull impressive numbers out of their @ss to promise against a juicy budget. Fail miserably. Says whoops. Promises even bigger numbers for next budget.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Next headline. Department of tourism takes vacation after getting paid.

• Funny Funny x 4