Dumaguete Info Search

places to rent cars in Dumaguete city?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by curveball_inside, Apr 15, 2013.

1. curveball_inside

curveball_inside DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anybody have experiences renting a car here? Can you recommend a place?

2. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I honestly dont think there is but you can try google search for private listing that offers rent a car or try the ones infront of the airport where theres parked vans/taxis try asking them. I suggest you dont drive the car yourself and get the company driver to drive you cause you might get stitched up with some bullshit over repair once you return the car you never know so just be cautious. Goodluck

3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I was just searching for this exact topic; :smile:
    I am slowly getting closer to going to Dumaguete/Zamboanguita for I hope 3 months & I asked my GF if she knew of any places that Hired a Car/Van in Dumaguete & she said yes, so the next time she was in the City she enquired on my behalf & was told it would be 2000 pesos per day... Does this sound right? :confused:

My problem is;
    I had a Bike accident in 1984. My right leg remains broken to this day around 2" from my Hip joint & the Doctors cannot repair it so 29 years on, a 6" limp & worn Hip & lower back joints means riding a Scooter is out of the question for me while I am there, as is walking everywhere, she rides a Scooter but because I am unable to physically lift my leg should it drop to the ground whilst in transit, it is too dangerous for me to even contemplate & the last place I wish to spend my 3 months is in the Public Hospital, & with her not living in the City means conventional/comfortable public transport that won't shake my leg from my body is most likely out of the question.

This puts me into a bad position as I am a Disability Pensioner and I will NEED some sort of Transport other than a Scooter (or a Carabao) to get around, & I am not flash with cash, hence why I will also be spending the 3 months in the Philippines staying with her Family in their home in the province, & yes; I am aware what that entails, very basic living in a Nipa Hut with no running water, no shower etc... I was looking at Hiring a suitable Car/Van for approximately 8 to 10 weeks, but at that rate I could be looking around 140,000 Pesos! So financially; buying a 'New Car' is out of the question, looking at the cost of used Cars appears to be daylight robbery & Hiring seems prohibitive at best...

What other ways are there to get around between Dumaguete & Zamboanguita that are cost effective? I do not want to be stuck in the house for the majority of my stay as I will be staying with her Family & would like to drop anak off to school in the morning, pick her up in the afternoon & still be able to get around & see the sights in between, as well as run some of the Rellies to see other Family Members while I am there who they have not seen in a while & who I would like to also meet...

If she was quoted correctly; then Hiring at that rate or Buying a vehicle are both out of the question as well as my Budget, especially seeing as I am stretching Pennies here as it is to do this. Any affordable suggestions that will give me some freedom to get around? I WANT to go there despite my condition, so I have the opportunity to weigh up my options later on as to front up here & push to retain my Disability Pension & move there or stay here when the time comes...

Cheers. :smile:

4. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Hi Brian, I would think that you should be able to use the Ceres Buses as a means to get back and fort between Dumaguete and Zamboanguita and in the City you can either rent a Pedycab or just pay for your individual rides, they are public transportation so they are reasonably cheap, I don't know what the situation is at your Girlfriends place though...

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Brian, I will send you a PM with a guy you can try. Good luck.

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Hi Brian,

For P15,000 or so down and P3000 to P5000 per month, you can buy a multicab. See Rusco, Reliance, Norkis, etc. Maybe not the optimum solution but maybe better than relying on public trans if you want some freedom.

Larry

7. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Brian,

The price quoted is about what we paid for a car rental in Duma. These are no where new cars but they operated well. If you are not used to driving in PI it may take a while to get the hang of it. Bring lots of extra patience as you will definitely need it.

8. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    As more as I think of your plans, as more I think you will have to get somebody to assist you in driving the vehicle, "Larry" mentioned "Multicab", but I am wondering if you could operate the pedals on them, a custom build "Pedycab" would cost you quite a bit and if you can not drive it yourself it gets more expensive and more complicated...

9. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Places to rent cars in Dumaguete city?

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay in replying, thanks PatO I got your PM but for the life of me I could not find where this Post was again until I was cleaning out my emails.

I can drive a Car fine although an Auto preferred nowadays, but I can drive a Manual which was my preference until the Hip/Leg pain became too much.

I looked up the MultiCabs (Sulit & multicabhulugan.weebly) & if I am able to live there, (which I doubt due to the Australian Governments stand on Disability Pensioners) I would seriously look at buying a small Suzuki Carry Van to get around.
    Sulit: http://bit.ly/12y0RWv
    MultiCabHulugan: http://bit.ly/13GIRRl

I was 'joking' with my GF about buying a Tricycle & hiring her to be my 'Driver', but the more I think about it the more it makes sense short term... Her two Brothers & her Father drive Tricycles for a Company in Dumaguete, my understanding is that they can carry 3 people yes? To save becoming a 'Cab Driver' myself, maybe this would suit us better? She has a Scooter Licence so could take up the prime position, I am large at 6' & 22 Stone, but anak is 5 years old so shouldn't take up too much room if she sat beside me. :D

My GF lives near Maluay on the National Highway between Dumaguete & Zamboanguita, but is currently looking for somewhere to rent in Zamboanguita so she is closer to her Daughter's School, which would mean running back & forth between Zamboanguita & Maluay, & Zamboanguita & Dumaguete...

Maybe I need to wait a bit longer & weigh up my options & save more money as I really want to get out & about!! The one thing I hated most before my marriage break up was that for the last 5 or more years of 26 years together, I was kept locked up in my home & not allowed to go out even to do the Shopping, I had to stay at home unless it was to go to the Doctors. NEVER AGAIN! :mad:

Regards driving there, I have read the horror stories on this Forum, reminds me when I was a kid living when one lane roads or very narrow two lane roads were the norm, I remember travelling to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast each week with my Mother & how she had to drop two wheels off the road to allow oncoming Buses & Trucks to pass by. As for the 'crazy' City driving, I have watched the videos online regards driving in Manila, I think I will MUCH prefer driving in the Province's thanking you... :wink:

10. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Reportedly Kens Trading near the airport in Sibulan can rent out cars, and there are also 1-2 other locally run places. There also used to be an expat run company called Dumaguete Car Rental, but I think he closed it down about a year ago or so.

For someone staying for a longer period, car rental quickly gets very expensive though, if they insist on a price of 2.000 peso pr. day even for long term rentals. 2.000 peso pr. day might be ok, if you only wish to rent for 1-3 days, but not for 3 month.

2.000 peso pr. day is 180.000 peso for 3 month, and for that amount of money you can easily buy a used car in Dumaguete. Any amount of money you can sell it for, when you leave again, is then directly into your pocket.

So I would either do that or insist on a significantly lower long term rental rate than 2.000 peso pr. day, before I signed up on such a contract.