Dumaguete Info Search

Plants and compost

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by Notmyrealname, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Does anyone know of good places to buy plants - especially 'indoor' pot plants - and potting compost.

2. merlinfish

merlinfish DI Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    List (small selection of places):
    - Robinson's Mall - now moved to the back area near the escalators to the cinemas
    - Valencia Town Square
    - Valencia area roadside stalls
    - Bishop Epifanio St
    - Tabo Market (EJ Blanco St, near Provincial hospital)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i assume you mean 'indoor' potted plants.''

i dunno but most shade plants should grow indoors ok.

there's a lot of roadside plant venders on the upper end of the duma/valencia road and there's a huge plant vending area on the north east corner of the valencia plaza; you should be able to find most any tropical plant at either location. also check out apeke garden across from the n.e. corner of the plaza.

compost?
    you can get vermicompost at green farms, i think i paid p250 for a 50kg sack about 5 years ago.
    alex also has an EOM product and fish hydrolysate.

here's a map to the vermicompost plant;
    Google Maps

the vermicompost facility is a few meters beyond the google map link. the road in to the facility is a little mysterious but turn off buñao rd at the ice plant and take the native/gravel rd to the end of the rd, keeping to the right. there are green farm signs on the building.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    sorry about the map link: try this
    Google Maps

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    In my country we call them 'pot plants' but I can see the confusion with a certain narcotic, so let's call them 'potted plants'.

I am most interested in orchids and used to grow them indoors in the UK - although they can be placed outside during the Summer (I rarely did that as 'Summer' was so short it made the effort almost pointless).

I had Phalaenopsis as they seemed rather easy to grow and would flower continuously for many months - these were commercially grown in heated greenhouses in Europe (at some cost) and so I was surprised therefore to find that here (at the plant place within Robinson's complex), where I assume the cost of production is very low, they are about two to three times the price I paid in the UK.

6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Cant remember the exact area but it just below valencia,their recycle dump they make vermicite and compost and used sell it for a very good price.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I think you might mean the roadside plant centre just at the City Limits - if so, then yes, I went there and they sell a very large bag of compost for P75 (I previously paid P50 for an (approx) 1kg bag at the plant centre within the outside space of Robinson's Mall) and it is sold DRY, so it means it is lighter to transport, does not mess up the car and you get a bigger volume after adding water at home. So thanks for your information.

Still looking for places which sell Orchids.

8. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    if you're up some adventure; about 5 years ago, i was at an orchard grower on a through road between the n. hiway and larena, maybe on buñao rd. or in that area. you could cruise the area asking at sari-sari stores or... alex at green farms might know.

also, there's usually a lot of orchid venders at the annual temporary christmas/holiday tent village.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    And where is this 'village' located please?

10. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i dunno for sure; it used to be in and around quezon park, taking up the parking spaces, but then i think it got moved to the open area between the go hotel and don bosco . i've only been to the quezon park site cuz that's where i usually park.

• Thanks Thanks x 1