Dumaguete Info Search

Police open fire on protesters, kill 3 in North Cotabato

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Brian, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Brian

Brian DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89 / 20
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
  2. contrail

contrail DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +71 / 7
    Have to love Full auto M-4's for crowd control. Works everytime!

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    This has just made international news on aljazeera and is front page on most national papers here!
    Mindanao has deteriorated in many ways over the past couple of years and this will only make the situation worse!

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sorry, I don't feel bad for them. Sounds to me like the farmers initiated the violence. If they were peacefully protesting there should be outrage but when you attack the police, who have absolutely no control over what aid Manila distributes, they you deserve to be shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I remember reading of someone else with an attitude like that, in history class. I think the next line was: "let them eat cake"

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264

I guess life is cheap enough in the Philippines that they don't issue non-lethal munitions like CS-CN. I realize CS can be lethal but only if you can't get out of it. I like CN, it clears me out, but then I'm expecting it, it would be a shock to the system to someone who wasn't.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hmm.....
    From wikipedia:
    Was this fictional history 101? :wink:

So, you are saying it is OK for people to turn violent and even shoot at the local police and/or military during hard times or when the government in Manila doesn't help them out?

Note:
    I never said the people didn't have a right to be upset and protest......I'm just saying perhaps a few Darwin awards were given out that day:
    Farmers: "Oh look, a bunch of guys in uniform with fully automatic rifles! I know, let's take a couple pop-shots at them with are 6-shooters to teach Imperial Manila a lesson! Herp-derp!" Pew pew.
    Police: :machinegun:
    Farmers: "WTF, they shot back at us?! Not fair! They violated our human rights!" :bash:

I'm sorry, but if you are going to try to take what you want or demand your government give you what you are due by violence/force.....well, you need to be a little smarter and more organized about it than these farmers were.

I have respect for both peaceful non-violent protests and violent uprisings as solutions to problems.....what I have absolutely no respect/sympathy for is when people use the violence method and then cry foul when they get hurt or killed. Life is full of choices.....and those choices always have consequences.

FYI: So in a way, I have more respect for the NPA and Muslim rebel/terrorist groups than I do these farmers. The NPA and Muslims have chosen their method and fully dedicated themselves to it. You don't hear these two groups whining to the media when they lose men fighting for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I am saying that when people are VERY hungry they will do ANYTHING it takes to get food, and higher levels of government seem oblivious to their plight, responding with a heavy hand (and a 'let them eat cake' attitude) rather than humanitarian aid.

9. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Dave, I think you are preaching to the choir here. I mean they haven't disbursed all the Yolanda aid money yet.

The Philippines is #1 in one thing and that is producing Filipinos. Those in the head shed don't believe there will ever be a shortage of Filipinos and probably don't feel they should be bothered with their plight, unless they need their vote immediately. Later on, after this all blows over, it will be business as usual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I completely agree they should have been given food aid.....and that should have happened long before any protests were even considered by the farmers. I also don't doubt that Manila has been largely ignoring this drought stricken province/town in Mindanao and I believe the farmers completely justified in being upset with Manila. The comment "desperate people take desperate actions" (which I completely understand): their level of poverty and desperation does not morally justify their violent actions (if it is true that they threw rocks/shot first). I have empathy for their actions, but no sympathy for the consequences of those actions. Just the same as if a poor kid holds me up at gunpoint and robs me to feed his family.....I completely understand the circumstances that led up to him pointing that gun at me, but I'm not going to have much sympathy if police happen to catch him in the act and shoot him.

• Like Like x 1