Dumaguete Info Search

Porters and Porter Rates on Dumaguete Pier

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by The Dane, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I have more than once been in a bad situation with the porters in Dumaguete Pier, it is really sad that these people gives a departing tourist leaving a sour taste in the mouth at the very end of a good vacation in Dumaguete, so I thought I would post a picture of the sign with the current porter rates.

This poster is placed AFTER the area where you usually get your porters, so it is too late and at this point you can only confirm how much they scammed you for :smile:

[​IMG]

Of course the porters needs to be able to make a living, when I last departed Dumaguete by boat and was quoted the equivalent of 2 days wages to carry our bags on board the Ocean Jet + having Ocean Jet staff in front of the boat telling us we WERE NOT ALLOWED to carry our own bags on board.

This was with my visiting family from Denmark, so there were 7 of us and 7 bags - the quote was P100 per bag from the porters... So 700 pesos we HAD to pay extra to leave Dumaguete.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :( No "OR" I guess so no Come back for the porters. Captive audience and no doubt a share to the Boat Crew?

That's life I guess, not a good Advert for our City though.:o

Jack P. :smile:

3. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    The Porters at the Pier are probably the biggest crooks in town and a complete disgrace to Dumaguete City.

I have NEVER had an honest porter in Dumaguete. When departing a boat, you stop and pay the Porterage fee. I always make it clear that what I am paying for is to cover the porter and if all do not agree, I will not pay. Then, even after this, the porters all cry, whine and argue once you have gotten to your transportation to give them more and insist that the porterage fee that 5 minutes ago they agreed was to pay them was not for them at all. I never give more, but after a long boat trip it is always a real pain to be welcomed home by these crooks.

I am sure these crooks have a Porter's Coop or the like. It should be banned from the Pier and a whole new group of Porters brought in. My two cents...

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :eek: I will add another 2 cents to that.:wink:

Jack P. :smile:

5. OP
    OP
    The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Bringing a printed copy of this out-of-sight sign might help you in future negotiations with these guys :smile:

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... as the 12% VAT are included I wonder if I can get an OR of them

7. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :rolleyes: I read somewhere, " Bethel Filomena's" I believe it was, that non issue of an "OR" is punishable by up to 4 years prison! If VAT is changed I would have thought an "OR" would have been mandatory?

BUT! there you go my friends.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, VAT is included in each trikefare... good luck with OR's...

anyway wonder what it cost to carry me with 3 porters to bogarts..

9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    10,000 pesos, and three porters with slipped disk.:D

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    :eek: Bastos, I did not say "The Dane" sits on my lap ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.