Dumaguete Info Search

Power fluctuating supply today

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by OzeMike, May 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Anyone else noticing bad power supply fluctuations today? Is it low voltage from NORECO II causing it?
    My UPS has been beeping quite a lot and the tv is turning off and on several times today. We're in Talay.

2. JWBobbit

JWBobbit DI Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    Our power regularly fluctuates in lower Valencia <185V and the AVRs light up a low voltage alarm which happens daily.

This usually can be pinned down to neighbours using welders but often I think it is just poor supply. Probably not enough transformers and commercial users without transformers.

The Servo Type AVR's (I have 5) constantly make a racket when the supply is jumping around also the incandescent replacement LED bulbs flicker.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    This sounds like one of those things people just have to deal with, by spending money, or live with it like those that can't spend their way out. Do the personal pole transformers prevent this kind of thing from happening? I've been told they cost like 60k or so.

4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    We have a 15 kva, can't remember how much it cost, wife bought it in 2010 from Polaris. Our power seems stable enough.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Recently our voltage would drop below 165v and knock out our AVR so we bought a new 15kva transformer from Polaris for 68K php. When asked about refurbished units they mentioned they would not sell refubished ones since there is a greater chance of failure. Once tested by Polaris we took the test results to the Noreco main office to schedule its installation and paid the 300php installation fee. Installation day took another 4k php for additional wires, they hoisted the unit up the pole with a hoist pulley block, hooked it up the the main line and we have been a constant 220v ever since.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. eskirvin

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    So we can buy our way out. Thank you for the information.

7. JWBobbit

JWBobbit DI Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    Would a grid tied solar install with batteries be a better long term investment than +70K for transformer and install? It should have a similar battery filtered/ regulated voltage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. eskirvin

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I sure think it would be. I'll be getting a couple of estimates for just such an install in July. I will start with just battery backup, with the Noreco supply charging them, then add panels later. I'll make sure to get a proper hybrid controller to properly account for the panels later on.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022