Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile prepaid 'no throttle' surf promo?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by kelpguy, Mar 24, 2017.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i could use some guidance concerning data/surf promos.
    i'm currently about 2 weeks into a globe prepaid GoSAKTO promo (GOSURFE999) but i want to download the WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection update package which is about 1.5gb, call it 2gb, and globe only lets me consume about 600/700mb a day before they throttle me down to crawling speed and the WSUS download fails.

i tried to find a promo to satisfy my needs and i get lost in the maze of options, jargon and pink fluffy clouds but it looks like FUP applies to ALL prepaid options.

does anyone know of a smart or globe prepaid promo that doesn't throttle you?

thanks...

2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    On Globe you can switch to "Time" browsing, p5 every 15 minutes. I will load only the amount for the time I want to be connected. For example if I have 30GB torrents to download I will p20-p30, depending on how good the connection is at the time I may or may not need to add more. p5 or p10 should be plenty for your update.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Last time I used Globes "time browsing" they throttled me back because I went over a data cap.

4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    How much data did you download? I have done in the 40s GB a few times. Can't remember what it is called at the moment but you also have to turn off the 'warning you about using up your data thingy'. Leaving it on while set to time will only... waste your time, turn it off and you can rock and roll again.

5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Are you sure? Recently "Smart" sent me a text that this "time" option is no longer available and you must enroll in any of their plans to use the Internet. Thus I ask if you are sure that Globe still allows it?

Edit: My suggestion would be to get a Smart sim as backup and use their 50 peso for one day plan which does not seem to be throttled back. Unlimited data for 24 hours, or such was my last experience and it changes on a whim here in Philippines.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i just logged on to post questions to AlwaysRT and saw your post. are you referring to the following?

Surfmax 50
    All day surfing up to 800MB/day, valid for 1 day

7. AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Last time I used time was a couple weeks ago, let me dig through and see if I can come up with enough torrents and I will try it tonight.

8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I was referring to Unli 50 which gives unlimited surfing for 1 day but perhaps they don't offer it any more. Here is the link
    Unli Surf Offers | Smart Mobile Store

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    OK, put p40 on my Globe sim. 1 hour and 30 minutes downloaded 23.3 GB
    Text time to 1111 and text surfalert off to 8080 and you should be good to go. (surfalert was the name I couldn't remember in my earlier post)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    wow... that looks pretty neat, thanks for staying up all nite! i'll have to give it a try. Fast.com normally shows my connection is running about 6mb down before 5am.

can i do ''time'' on my tattoo sim which has a plan that expires in a couple of weeks or should i get another sim or??? does it need to be a tattoo sim or will any globe sim work?

can you add on ''time' 'as the ''time'' download is proceeding?

i'm pretty tired of getting throttled, i got throttled at 5:30 this morning for using 575mb data (according to Glasswire data monitor). with your program, i can do the serious downloads on ''time'' and do something like GOTSCOMBODD70 for normal browsing.
    thanks...

fwiw... i just found this:
    notification - globe.com.ph
    Web Content Display
    You are about to leave the Globe WAP site. You will be charged according to the following schemes:

For browsing outside the Globe WAP site, you will be charged Php 0.15/kb if you're on default KB charging.

If you're on time-charging, you will be charged Php 5 for 15 minutes for browsing outside the Globe WAP site.

To shift to TIME Browsing, text TIME to 1111 for free.

To shift back to KB Browsing: text KB to 1111 for free.

To check the charging scheme that currently applies to your account: text STATUS to 1111 for free.