Dumaguete Info Search

Review Progress of CV testing in the US

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by djfinn6230, May 8, 2020.

1. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    From labcorp:

LabCorp currently offers several options for COVID-19 tests that identify if individuals are infected or may have been infected with the coronavirus. Testing is an important part of health and safety, and we want to make it as easy as possible for you to get critical information.

We now offer COVID-19 antibody blood tests nationwide through our patient service centers and tens of thousands of physician offices. There are no upfront out-of-pocket costs to people who receive an order for a test through a doctor or healthcare provider, including telemedicine providers.

Note: They also have walk-in testing at Walgreens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-

3. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Problem is you will need another 100 companies with the capacity to test 200,000 per day to test two thirds of the USA in three months.

4. OP
    OP
    djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I don’t see the need to test 2/3 of the USA though mass testing is a popular mantra everywhere. If I were there I wouldn’t do it unless my job demanded it, I was very sick or my US doctor suggested it due to age, in which case I could. Walgreens may become a fairly popular place for hypochondriacs to go for testing but probably not much different than their business model to provide walk-in flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations which does not draw large crowds. Labcorp is huge; it is the only place in the US where I personally have ever gotten blood test results (in the US) over the last 15-20 yrs. You get your blood, or whatever is required, drawn at your dr office, that handles thousands of regular patients, and they send it to the local labcorp, that handles I don’t know how many tests per day. Covid tests are paid for by the government there; an Encouraging development on its own, as a populist type person who wants free national healthcare in the US.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Have a link?

6. OP
    OP
    djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Screenshot_20200508-190121.png
    Can't order unless you are a healthcare worker or a doctor requests it. Couldn't find anything about how much the test costs.

8. OP
    OP
    djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    It looks to me like you could call your family doctor and he/she orders the test if they agree. Then the swab is collected in dr office and delivered to testing center. Patient checks for results online, available in 1-2 days. In the US, must lab tests are ordered through the dr. anyway so it looks like the idea of going to Walgreens for a covid swab test on your own is premature. The antibody test is a blood draw and is available at labcorp test centers including Walgreens. That test is available for walk-ins. Results online in 2-3 days.

For costs. I do think govt may pay all even for antibody test according to labcorp site (they don’t confirm that for swab test). No cites.

“LabCorp patient service centers do not collect specimens from individuals who believe they have COVID-19 and are symptomatic.”

That would be for the service center antibody tests like Walgreens I assume. Dr office probably will handle you by a separate safe process for the actual covid test if you say you have symptoms.

But it is getting better for those who wish to be tested.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    how do you test for a virus that is constantly mutating?

• Like Like x 1
  10. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Coronavirus does not mutate fast enough to cause a difficulty with testing. Coronavirus mutates very slowly.