Dumaguete Info Search

Proposed Philippine Divorce Law

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Rye83, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    About time.

Note: There is a 6 month "cooling off" period before a divorce can be finalized.

• Like Like x 2
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Contrasting with how my first wife and I divorced in Florida, no-fault divorce ( no accusations of infidelity or whatever), fill out a form or two, divvy up the assets, both go to court together, tell the judge the marriage is over and pay the clerk $7.44 (the $0.44 was for postage to each of us, 22 cents at the time), for a copy of the judge’s termination of the the marriage. Almost easier than getting married.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    When I got a divorce (in Indiana) there was a 30 or 90 day "cool off" period. The divorce would not be finalized until after that time had elapsed. I believe it is quite normal in places where religion has a tighter grip on the government than they should have. I personally see no point to it. A divorce can be just as permanent as a marriage. If you regret getting a divorce there is nothing stopping a couple from getting married again.

4. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Does it take effect from a certain date do you know? Also does the President still have to sign off on it before it becomes effective? As read to my surprise he wasn't that keen on it.

5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe it is just a proposed bill. Still needs to make its way through the legislative branch and be given the stamp of approval by the executive branch.

I'm not sure why Duterte would have an issue with it. He is pretty open about not giving a sh*t what the church has to say about political issues. Not sure how the state would benefit from preventing divorce....allowing it would give them a lot more opportunities to take bribes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Still needs to pass the rest of the legislature process. It just made it out of committee is all. The odds are still stacked against it sadly.

Another note though I still doubt I'd trust it as a foreigner instead likely getting seriously screwed unless your willing to leave the Philippines never to return. Child custody will never be in our favor even after 7 years old and likely child support will be much higher along with a solid chance of being forced to pay alimony / ex-spousal support. Ontop of that likely having our assets including car, motor, house furnishings, and so forth split which currently they are not entitled to while they can completely screw us on house/l0t. It may still be a huge headache but until there is some case law and protections established for how it has to work through the courts I'd think the option is still a foreign no contest divorce in our home countries claiming no children as legally our countries can't handle the child support or asset division issues. Then leave the rest up to the ex spouse to try and fight. I'll be damned and utterly say screw the Philippines if they think they can tell me to keep supporting her after or insane child support while I have no child rights and doing a divorce here would be a binding legal agreement.

7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Lying to a judge/court is not a smart thing to do.

You very well may be damned if you don't pay child support. It is a crime in the US not to pay up (even if your kid is overseas). Not having, or being able, to have visiting rights does not give anyone the right not to take care of their child. Once you get far enough behind on child support the State Department will refuse to renew your passport and they will lock you up when you return to the US (as they should). I love that the USG goes after dead-beat parents....and there are plenty of them in the Philippines. I gladly assist any Filipino that fathered a kid with a POS American.

If any are women reading this that want assistance dealing with a POS father just send me a PM and I'll gladly provide you any advice I can. I may not be able to get you any money (depending on the POS' financial situation) but we can certainly make that POS' life a lot harder!

8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    It is so nice of you, when you put it that way.

On the off chance that you mean you would gladly assist any Filipina who tells you that a POS American is the father of her child and she knows which one. What happens if she lies? My ex did.

9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The kid's DNA won't lie.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dreamer

Dreamer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Back to the question of divorce. I read somewhere recently that if the marriage was between two Filipino's and they married in the Catholic church they could obtain a divorce without going through lawyers. That if there were good reasons for the divorce it would be handled by the church not the courts. Anyone heard anything about this? Anyone know how to go about this. Not for me but some friends.