Dumaguete Info Search

Pros and Cons of having a baby in Philippines or US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by muddyfeet, Nov 28, 2009.

1. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My wonderful wife is pregnant :D and we will be welcoming our bundle of joy into the world in June, me thinks. I want her to have the baby in the US and she wants to have it in Philippines. Our discussion is that if the baby is born in Philippines it will be both US and filipino citizen which is what we both want. I have heard that it is not difficult to get a dual citizenship for the child if it is born in US but do not know how to go about getting this accomplished.

I know it would be cheaper for the child to be born in Phil but that is not an issue.

Does anyone have any experience getting a passport for a newborn baby as we will go back to the states as soon as the baby is born. We will also be moving to the Duma area within the next two years, perhaps sooner.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Dean

2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I think you have it backwards. They will only be US citizens if born in the US or on US soil which means you will have to have the child in a US embassy compound or military base. If he or she is not born in those places you will only qualify for PI citizenship and would have to go through the process of getting PI passports and US visas for you wife and child.

That was also a major consideration for me too which is why I restrained myself while in the PI and waited until my wife was able to join me and conceive in the US. Because my wife has still not become a US citizen our children are considered PI citizens also, hence dual citizenship as long as my asawa does not renounce her PI citizenship which I am not going to encourage her to do. But if they had been conceived in the PI they would have to apply for US citizenship. Right now they travel on US passports which they are entitled to for life but should they chose to live in the PI they are already dual citizens, can run for elected office, and even buy land because their mom is still a PI citizen. When we travel to the PI because of my wifes status me and the children can get extended visas for one year if we need them until I am ready to apply for the permanent visa.

Yes even if a mom becomes a US citizen they can apply to get her PI citizenship back but that is a lot of paperwork and the status is not really the same as never losing it.

Just something to think about.

Congratulations on the child, I hope things work out for you two.

3. Panday Pera

Panday Pera DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Just a word of caution. Airlines usually will not let your wife travel during her last trimester of pregnancy, meaning the last 3 months. This is where most travel complications happen. This is also done to discourage people from traveling to the US or any other country for that matter, just so their child can be born and have the citizenship of the country of destination.

Application for a dual citizenship or reapplying for Philippine citizenship is done at any of the Philippine Embassies scattered all over the world and usually requires two documents. Birth certificates and proof of residency or legal status in your country of residence. In the US it cost $50.00 application fee. If the parents apply for citizenship and approved and the children are below 18 years of age, the children automatically becomes Phil citizens or are given the choice to accept or decline Fil citizenship.

Pedro is right, you had it backwards, if you are in the US right now stay there and have you child born there. Maybe more expensive but less headache for you in the long run. In terms of safety, I believe it is safer to travel the world on a Phil Passport than US because of recent changes in the world. Just my paranoid opinion. May not hold water but may give you a lot of sleepless nights and save you from a lot of hurt.

Good luck and congratulations!

PP

4. thaliaeden

thaliaeden DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i am currently in the US right now as a permanent resident...i am a filipino....
    i got pregnant while i was in dumaguete and still processing my visa...
    anyway i gave birth before i had my visa interview..so what happen is they hold my visa interview and reschedule it....we then apply for CITIZEN BORN ABROAD for my first daughter...it takes 2 or 3 months.....so even if my daughter was born in the philippines she was still a US citizen and even carrying a US passport and US birth certificate.....so no more application of visa for her....base on my experience in giving birth here in the US and in the Philippines..it was much more better here compare in the philippines in very many aspect....i had my second daughter here in the US and it was really a much better experience than being in the philippines...

5. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Even if born outside the us the child can become a us citizen fairly easily, if one parent is US citizen, but will not be able to run for president.

The only way the child will be automatically a US citizen is if it is born in the US. After being born you will need to apply for both us and Philippine passports and the birth will need to be registered with the Philippine Embassy. Do this early as it gets more expensive and the paperwork is messy if you wait. Trust me on that part.

6. OP
    OP
    muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks everyone for your input and the congrats.

We will visit Duma in Jan and Feb then back to the states during the 5th month to have the baby.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Dean

7. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I agree with Tom's reading on this...also, if you have decided to have the baby in the US, I think that is the best decision. If their is a foreigner involved, doctors in the Philippines like to drug mothers so they cannot deliver naturally and therefore force a c-section which means more income for the doctors. My personal experience has forced me not to trust the doctors nor the hospitals here. It is completely for-profit and their is very little regard for the patient. Also, their is virtually no recourse. (Which is probably why these problems are so rampant.)

You are far less likely to have complications with the baby being born in the U.S.

8. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I totally agree with derivative_guru

I have just had my daughter in the hospital they are truly about profit not there Patients.

9. camanjac

camanjac DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Internet will answer all your questions:

United States nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or try the US Dept of Justice Website..

10. camanjac

camanjac DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am proud to be a US Citizen (an American) wherever i go..