Dumaguete Info Search

Pups and ticks

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by ShawnM, Jan 26, 2015.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Not sure where the best place to post this so went this one. We have done a pretty good job checking the pups feet and ears for ticks...but not sure if the new pups we adopted added to the problem or not. All pups have been bathed frequently, to include the new guys. Also have a powder to get rid of ticks and fleas that all our pups and dogs have been treated with.

The ticks here are really small, we went through every dog and pup this afternoon and evening (with tweezers) and found quite a few ticks between their toes and their ears...a few more around their bodies (guess the soap and powder have a limited span). You really have to pay attention to see those little things.

Cherry says there is an injection for the pups to get rid of ticks, fleas and worms so that is my plan tomorrow...250 peso per dog/pup, but want them all to be healthy.

I spent my last few years of High School in the Midwest where deer ticks were common, used to have my GF check me after a day of fishing...ticks freak me out and the ones here are so small they are hard to first see. Check your dogs, toes and ears are the most attractive to these nasty little things.

Shawn

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    The local agrivet shops sell small sachets of ********** in powder form. It is used in horses for worms and other parasites. We have given it to our dogs to get rid of ticks. It also does a good job getting ride of mites which cause a mangy type loss hair. The cost was low somewhere around 20 pesos per sachet. We gave one sachet to each dog (10 kg dog).

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    A quick Google search shows a number of ways to give this to the dogs...are you injecting it or giving it to them orally? Much cheaper if it does the same as what the wife has talked to the vet about.

Shawn

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    I gave the ********** to them orally with their food as it came in powdered form. If you are in Bacong you will find the Agrivet place on the street beside the park with the concrete fish,

5. Clifford 1

Clifford 1 DI New Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    Hello can you tell me how often you have to give the ********** to your dogs? Thanks in advance

6. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thanks...we will look for it today here in Tanjay.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  7. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Shawn - We have always used Frontline spot treatment on our two large mutts. Not the cheapest option but seems to keep them tick and flea free. Involves a once a month application of a small vial of the liquid between shoulder blades once a month. Size of vial dependent upon weight of dog! Cheers - Barry

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Barry...we used that before when it was just Chili and Pepper, with all the pups now the vet recommended injections. We had no problem with ticks until we adopted the 2 local dogs so hopefully things clear up pretty soon.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  9. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    @ShawnM -

Wish you luck mate - with all those pups it must be a full-time job lol! How often do they need to have the shots to remain protected?

Cheers - Barry

10. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Where do you get Frontline in the Philippines? Thanks