Dumaguete Info Search

Rain Water Collection system

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Larry_H, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Does anyone here use a rain water collection system?

If so, do you filter it and use it for a potable water source?

2. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    larry...
    we consume bottled water and or ''mountain water'' from the public water system but the rest of our water is rain water. the rain water is filtered thru several custom debris filters and then a 5 micron cartridge filter but could be filtered further for consumption. i'd be happy to answer any questions you have on the catchment system.

norm : ))~

3. OP
    OP
    Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've already designed one (crudely) on paper that can/might/should supply the water needs for the entire house/yard (if there is enough rain on a consistant basis) but I'd love to see your plans and layout. Please email any drawings you have. Since Mama Nature provides us with so much water there, it only seems smart to make use of it.

4. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Depending on your location you have many possibilities or only one or two, a friend of mine is living in San Antonio up from the Golf Course and has a cistern under his house that holds several thousand liters of rain water, I like the idea of having the cistern integrated
    into the building, he experienced no damage with the last quake...

5. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    In early day's on the boat we collected rainwater for many years and used this without filtering. Now with the house, pool and garage roof (appr. 400 sq. mete)r we collect rainwater in two storage tanks of 32000 and 47000 liter. This is pumped automatically in a 900 liter capacity water tower and flows free to the user ends.
    Water to be used in the house go's through a 1000 peso water filter what has te be cleaned ones in the 3 months. We keep the gutters clean, have a rough debris separator before the water enters the tanks and clean the tanks ones a year.
    Do this now for the last 7 years, no problem.

6. OP
    OP
    Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    mokum, that is exactly the type of system I'm envisioning. Do you also use a solar water heater to get your hot water?

7. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    No, we don't have a solar heather. It should be easy to install in our system but for the small amount of hot water we use (2 persons) it's not worth the effort.

8. OP
    OP
    Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't know the electricity rates there, but based on Manila rates, if you each take two hot showers a day plus normal other hot water usage, then a solar water heater will pay for itself in 20 months.

The water heater I use for comparison is a roof mounted unit with a 150 litre tank. Best cost is 16,500PHP. Add another 10,000 for additional piping and labor.

Solar cells would need replacement about every ten years at a cost of 6,000 PHP (current costs)

That is 17,500PHP for ten years of hot water or 146PHP/month.

Don't know how this applies to your costs, you can do your own analysis. But, I'd bet that you spend more than 146 PHP a month to heat water.

Everyone has their own reasons for doing things. Mine is FREE! I like FREE! Anything I can do that will result in FREE! works for me!

9. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    You don't need solar cells for solar water heating.

10. OP
    OP
    Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I know you can also use a batch solar heater, but it doesn't get the water as hot. I like HOT water for showers. Do you have any other ways that are more cost-effective?