Dumaguete Info Search

Rain water collection

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by ShawnM, Sep 19, 2014.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Hey guys; looking for some advice on how to do the rain water collection coming from the roof from the second floor. My back yard is not too big so best to put a tank underground or put a raised tank? Rainwater is my plan for the gardens; if I go with a underground tank I will either have to have an electric pump and/or hand pump. An above ground tank will give us some gravity feed to the garden as well as our future flower gardens and trees.

Cost wise it really is not too much of a difference, having a tank above ground in my backyard would look a bit ugly but is lets us go gravity so that means no electricity. An underground tank would look better (you don't see it) and could only use a hand pump, no electricity again.

One thing I am going back and forth on...any input would be great.

Shawn

2. Sailor24

Sailor24 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +21 / 4
    Hmmmmmm , try collecting rainwater in 9 states ( including Oregon ) in the " Land of the Free " and prepare yourself for some jailtime ! Ron

3. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I seriously doubt that Shawn would place his rainwater collector(above/below ground) in such a distant location from the garden.

4. rbrown

rbrown DI Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 8
    Yea.....and when the government thinks that they own the rain too we know we are in trouble......as if they don't take enough from us already!

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Only theirs until a problem arises, then it is Yours.

:mad:hmmmmmmmmmm, And when they do, they can come and clean my freakin Road up, still got 2/3 inches laying.

JP

6. tomtorific

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    When you can't hold your breath any longer Tito Jack....instructions NOT included.

View attachment 11759

Attached Files:

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Leased or Owned?

LOL :confused: What's the Down Payment & terms on one of these things ? :p

JP

8. tomtorific

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Aking Asawa handles all the transactions in two dialects.....pick your poison. :dnr:

9. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    How much water you wish to hold..or be able to hold? I rented a home in Roxas City Capiz that had above water storage. I was thinking that above ground is better than below for clean outs on an il-regular basis.

Im thinking "false external wall" build a concrete tank...say 14-18'' opening and as long and high as you can.. the depthxwidthxheight will determine your gallon storage. Try to figure out your rain water needs..garden watering..car wash? not yet !!..lol If -it faces south you can put a shower head up high enough to tap for your bath..warm bath.. I dont care how much I suffer from the heat here. I do enjoy the hot water on my back..old achy multi fractured arthritic back!!..heheh

10. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I'm only looking at water for the garden and in an emergency water for the toilets I guess. I was thinking 1000 liters would be enough, but could be underestimating the garden needs...it is a smallish garden.

Shawn