Dumaguete Info Search

Real estate prices rising strongly

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dr. Shiva, May 4, 2017.

1. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Is it just me feeling that way or are the real estate prices in the area of Dumaguete and direct surroundings being rising very strongly in the last few weeks? An object costing 3.6 M php last week suddenly costs now 4 M php. And objects below 3.5 M php seems becoming less available while there are more objects above 4 M php available on the market.

2. Michael. B

Michael. B DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +194 / 12
    Yes you don't get much for 4M in Dumaguete, but still some cheap deals if you are willing to locate outside of the city.

3. OP
    OP
    Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    When I check the available houses and their prices I must say that most houses are overpriced.
    For a cheap deal you have now to go quite far from Dumaguete.

How safe is the term "right of way"?

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Not too safe in "off highway" locations. I remember Jack Peterson saying that he can't even get his car down the "right of way" any more due to people encroaching on the road and a sacred tree that cannot be cut down. But "right of way" works if you are walking or taking a motorcycle. Other than that I would buy near a public road and not a barangay road, but that's just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just bear in mind that the ambulance isn't that reliable during emergency. Currently, I'm paying 2 slots in a gated community (land only) 4000php/sqm for five years. It's my partner's choice but I know problems could arise like members not paying their monthly dues that is why I'm not selling my inherited property which is along a concreted barangay road just in case he won't like it there.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    I have to agree with Dave regarding "right of way". Even if guaranteed in the bill of sale/survey and/or title, for practical purposes, Philippine rights-of-way have a way of "shrinking" over the years. Our personal experience, wife/asawa purchased several small budget-priced non-titled lots many years ago strictly for family members, with small (motorcycle or pedestrian) rights of way. We understand the risks involved, but considered them appropriate vs the price considering we're not building anything substantial on them. We've received a couple of complaints over the years that the right of way has narrowed due to plantings, natural overgrowth, a new fence, etc. In some cases, these complaints from family were accompanied with a message that " the owner will expand the right of way for more money". We've always pushed back with - "you live there - you deal with it". But I would be EXTREMELY cautious about right of way issues regarding property on which I wished to build my own home.
    Just a couple of other thoughts:
    - No matter what country, a "right of way" that is regularly exercised is more likely to be respected. Meaning, if you buy lot/land in the Philippines and don't build/occupy fairly quickly, right-of-way (or other) problems may arise.
    - I always assumed for property with a border/access to a barangay road, that access was OK legally (aside from issues with the quality of that road). If that's incorrect I'd appreciate anyone's perspective.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  7. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    I could be wrong, but it was always my understanding that land along a "concreted barangay road" was fine legally, not considering the quality of the road itself.

8. gord

gord DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer ✤✤Forum Sponsor✤✤ Forum Sponsor

businessman
    Ratings:
    +155 / 13
    The price increases are not just a one or two week trend. They have been steadily rising over the past year to 18 months. There is an extreme shortage of "decent" options in the under 4 million range that a westerner would consider acceptable, and is something that we as a developers have recognized and are starting to target. Having said that, what you have to consider is that a lot of around 500 sqm, which is a decent size for a small house, will cost 1,000 to 2,000 pesos per sqm (500k to 1 mil) which leaves about 3 mil for a house. With construction costs from a reputable builder at around 25,000 pesos per sqm ( 1 story) , you would get a house around 100 sqm. You also have to figure in landscaping, site development, fencing etc. Its doable but do not expect to be living high end, and not right in Dumaguete City proper. (good options available in Bacong, Dauin, Valencia and Sibulan)
    Road right of way can be totally safe as long as everything is properly documented. The best way is to ensure that the road right of way, complete with technical description, is annotated on the title of the lot is it given from. If some one encroaces on a properly documented road right of way, it is fairly easy to enforce legally. Easiest and cheapest wayb to start is to go to the Barangay Captain with all the documentation.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I can only speak of our place. It has been fine since I was growing up when it was just a dirt road. When my grandfather died, his children divided his lands which became "along the barangay road". Maybe before WWII, the road was just a trail and it developed because the survey showed the posts at the middled of the road. Right of way problems are those that branches from a barangay road-really tiny, only an 'easy ride'/and or trikes can pass. Maybe somebody here knows about the correct(legal) dimension of that "branch road" (whatever the correct name is).

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    As our Barangay Road has shrunk from 6 meters now down to 4 meters and that is legal. We all say "Buyer beware" and this is so very true. A Barangay Road ( concreted or not) is at a Given width and the Plans of these are at City hall BUT as has happened to me My neighbour has reclaimed 2 meters donated to the Barangay for Barangay use, there seemed to be a problem with his neighbours opposite that continued to Park a Pick up & BB his Lechon on the Open Road. all well and Good but the arguments escalated to one of Frenzy and he said OK if you won't do the decent thing and Park you vehicle in the Front of your property ( His Back is on the road in Question) and cook your pigs in your garden I will take back my donated land to the 4 meters agreed and Documented. So we all now suffer for 1 Idiot
    Moral is, all that is on any Paper work needs very very close scrutiny to ensure no reclamations can be made :bag:
    In the main Yes but you would need to make sure the Barangay Road is actual Barangay owned. the point I made before shows that these Roads are not always where they should be and at a width they should be and people can and do reclaim parts that are actually on their Land. One neighbour has told us that he is going to have to Move his CR wall in 1.5 feet as it actually covers part of the Road by that much.
    It is a never ending and twisted route we follow and it seems those we consider being Silly and sometimes Stupid, actually do have a leg to Stand on regardless of who they upset, The smiles from me will come when this neighbour finds the Fire Truck or the Noreco Boom Wagon try and Maneuver the bend that he has created with his attitude.:nailbiting:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1