Dumaguete Info Search

Recommendations for BI mandated trip?

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Dave & Imp, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I have to leave the country on the BI mandated trip out of town program for tourists. The travel agent next to the BI has recommended Singapore, Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur as quick trips. I am really not looking for a sightseeing trip, just planning to meet the BI requirements. Singapore has just recently put out a Zeka virus warning. Hong Kong is a little more urban than I like, and Kuala Lumpur has some issues with Muslims, but I do not know how bad the issue really is. Anyone had a good and quick trip experience at any of these places?

Any recommendations from people who recently made the trip abroad? I will go alone, and probably not spend much more than one night, unless there is something interesting to see there.

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    You say Hong Kong is a little more urban than you like but if you do as you suggest then you will never leave the airport. I know that myself and 3 different friends have flown from Mactan to Hongkong on an evening flight and then left there to go back to Cebu at 1 am, arriving at 3 am which used to be enough to satisfy the letter of the law. Expect grumpy Immigration officials to give you a lecture about tourist visas not supposed to be residence visas but it was my experience that they do not stop you from coming back the very next day provided all your paperwork is in order (passport does not expire within 6 months and you have an exit ticket before the expiry of said passport etc).

I have not done this in the last 3 years since the rules changed but I have heard of nothing to say it is no longer allowed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    If it were me I'd go to Bangkok for a couple days; I believe there are a number of flights leaving Manila everyday. I usually stay at the Tai Pan hotel, relatively cheap and next to Soi Cowboy and walking distance (or short tuk tuk ride) from Nana Plaza.

Shawn

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mikala

Mikala DI Member Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Nuclear Engineer
    Ratings:
    +144 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I found Kuala Lumpur (last November) to be delightful. Of course this was against all thoughts in my mind about visiting a Muslim country. There were plenty of bars and restaurants from every region around the world. I was utterly amazed it was so urbane. There was even a Cuban restaurant. My 2 days didn't seem to be enough to do it justice (with my wife). I look forward to going there again. I highly recommend using the train from the airport as it's quite a distance by bus or taxi!

Singapore, for my wife and I, is always a delight. Maybe try going to a theatre performance while you're there? Catch some traveling concert or performance (we caught Cirque du Soleil). Hit a restaurant. At least you can do it all without catching a taxi or bus. Just use their magnificent train system! :smile:

Hong Kong can also be good for a day tour. My wife and I used a double decker bus from the airport and enjoyed the sights along the way. Travel within Hong Kong can also be facilitated as such and is low cost.

Bangkok is always a delight. The train from the airport is convenient and then using the BTS or MRT to get around is fantastic. Great food, great hotels and great sightseeing abound.

There's also Bali, but my wife and I did not enjoy Bali at the slightest. Just too touristy and many pushy touts. Using Uber at the airport made me feel like a criminal!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Hong Kong is best. Easy train from airport to city. KL airport a long ride from the city but no Muslim problem. Singapore expensive but nice tourist destination across the Hilton Hotel on Orchard Road (4 floors of mystery)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Cebu Pacific also flies to Kota Kinabalu - it's about 1hr closer then KL, a pleasant little town with some very nice little islands just offshore - white sand beaches and small beach bars. There's also a pleasant little 'boardwalk' on the seafront with bars / restaurants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I'll be going to Singapore for my mandated exit with Maricel in October and spend a couple days. It was the cheapest tickets available plus I'd like her to see a bit more of a developed country then Manila which is as developed as she has ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I have heard it is sometimes the cheapest ticket. I might get one as an onward or exit ticket and actually use it. It may be better than traveling to a BoI office in Cebu or Manila to get an exit clearance if one has not been in country more than one year.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I think that if Manila's population was 1/3 to 1/2 less the city would probably be functional and maybe even enjoyable to more people. Manila is just 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.

10. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hong Kong would also be good if you need/want some electronics. Head to the Sham Shui Po market where you can find ebay type deals on everything from HDMI cables to external hard drives to televisions...

• Informative Informative x 1