Dumaguete Info Search

Renew a Visa

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Rye83, May 4, 2010.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    How's everyone doing? New to the forum and just moved down from Subic to Dumaguete/Valencia (I actually haven't been there yet but the wife just moved into the new apartment). I will actually be there in a month or two for my first visit to NO. My wife has some good things to say about it so far, so I'm excited.

Ok, two part question:

1. My wife is a FilAm and her visa is getting ready to expire. I know the US consulate is in Cebu but is there any way to get this renewed in Dumaguete?

I told her to visit a travel agency in Dumaguete as this is a common service they offer in Zambales.

2. For whatever reason she only gets a 2 month visa each time (and she has been in the Philippines for about 5 years, lol yeah, I know. I don't try to understand her thought process, it might be contagious.) I was under the impression that you can get longer visas (2mths, 4 mths, 6mths and 1 year) in the Philippines as an American. She is not a dual citizen and has never held a Filipino citizenship (US citizenship only from birth) and we have a child (Filipino citizen only). Is there a visa available to her that is a bit more long term?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    If you are a citizen you can sponser her for a non-immigrant visa. What kind of visa are you here on?

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sorry, I didn't add any information about myself. Might have been helpful.

I am a US citizen as well. I have no visa in the Philippines. I work overseas and maintain an apartment in the Philippines. During my visits the 21 day visitors visa and an extension cover my needs.

My wife has lived in the Philippines for almost 5 years straight on some type of visa, I honestly couldn't tell you what type, only that she renews it every 2 months. She was born in Subic to an American Sailor and a filipina mother (who is now an American citizen). To my understanding, and her understanding, she has never held a Filipino citizenship.

4. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    If she was born in Subic than she may have a claim for dual citizenship but that would take research and verification. You may want to consult a lawyer. If she has been here five years just renewing a visa every two months something may not be right with that and you could be subject to problems down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    She has mentioned trying for a Dual citizenship before but I have been warned that if she applies for a citizenship she might be subject to losing her US citizenship, and neither one of us wants that. A lawyer would definitely be needed to go for the dual citizenship.

I was afraid that if she was just extending that there would be problems. You can extend for up to a year and then you must leave the country for a bit then come back and repeat.....again, that's my understanding. I was kind of hoping that a customs agent wouldn't be setting her up like that and would have let her known what she was getting into but I'm not really surprised if that's the case. I'll just get her to extend again and then send her to the Consulate to set her in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

On another matter. What would be the best type of visa for me to get that would allow multiple entries? I'm only 27 so the retirement visa is not an option for me. Would a permanent resident card be something I could obtain? I have read about it on the net but it states I must be married to a filipina. I am guessing that it would be difficult to get around this requirement, if not impossible.

6. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    She will NOT lose her US citizenship by gaining Philippine citizenship. Dual citizenship is easy to get if she qualifies, and then she will never have to worry about visas again. She can then own land or a business, as well as gain other constitutional rights reserved for Philippine citizens. There is NO downside. Some info here;

R.A. 9225

US law states that in order to lose her citizenship she must pay $500 and take an oath in front of a US consular officer renouncing her citizenship. She CANNOT lose her citizenship by taking an oath of allegiance to another country.

If she gets dual citizenship then you are eligible for 13A status. For coming in and out of the country though you may be better off just doing the tourist BS.

Larry

8. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I am on a Quota Visa, Sec (13) and I travel a lot. Costs me more to get out of the country than the ticket price usually.

Once you get residency (Sec 13), you need to pay Travel Tax, same as a citizen does, and you also pay Immigration Exit Fees. These two are over P 3,000.00. Of course, you do not have to pay the visa extension fees as if you were on a tourist visa. You can legally work, but need a work permit

If you only come in for a few weeks at a time and have no need to work here, you are probably much better off on a Tourist Visa.

Dual citizenship is certainly an option for your wife, as is a Residency Visa. If she stays permanently on a tourist, it may be a problem down the way. If she wants to buy and own land, she will have to take out citizenship. It is a lomg process but not all that difficult, a friend of mine is just finishing it now. One of the key requiremenst is the ability to read, write and speak Tagalog, naturally, and to demonstarte a willingess to embrace the Filipino Culture and Way of life.

Cheers

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    These are the requirements for becoming a naturalized Filipino, with the exception there is no need to speak Tagalog, and native tongue will do. These requirements do NOT apply to one who is eligible for dual citizenship under RA 9225. (See the link I provided in previous post)

Obtaining dual citizenship under RA 9225 is fast, easy, and cheap if one is eligible.

Larry

10. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    LArry, I stand Corrected, you are right.

My friend was a US Citizen of non filipino descent.My apologies. He actually had to take an exam in Tagalog.

Sorry for the confusion

Cheers