Dumaguete Info Search

Passports Renewing a US adult passport.....?

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by Manzanita, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I've filled out and completed the online form, printed it. Now whats the deal? is there someone that can handle going to the embassy in Manila to pay the passport fee, or do I have to go there myself, can anybody enlighten me on the easiest way to do this?
    Is there a trustable passport service in town that can help me?
    Cheers,
    M

2. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    hey M...
    this may be of interest to you. i lifted the following from the CDO group..

Hello fellow Ex-pats,

Just thought I'd pass along some info for those of you with expiring U.S. passports who need to renew but want to avoid the hassle, congestion and expense of doing it at the American Embassy in Manila. I know for a fact that it can be done at the American consulate in Cebu because I just did it, so I'd like to share my experiences with you so you'll know exactly how it is done.

First of all, the American consulate in Cebu is located on the ground floor of the Waterfront Hotel on Isabela Street. But don't try finding it from inside the Hotel. It's located at the back via the entrance road that circles the Hotel. The entrance is very nondescript.

It's open only from 8-11AM Monday-Friday and is closed on both American and Filipino holidays. Everything there is done on a walk-in basis, 1st come, 1st serve, no appointment is necessary.

Cost is $110 payable in either dollars or pesos. No credit cards are accepted. Be sure to bring the exact amount, they might not be able to break a large bill.

Bring your old passport and as many 2x2 recent photos as you can spare.

The DS-82 form is available there if you come without it. If you download the form on your computer beforehand, its 2 pages, but don't print the 2nd page on the back of Page 1. If everything is in order and you get there fairly early, it will probably take only 30-45 minutes and you'll be out the door before you know it.

The consul will take your old passport and application form and forward it to Manila, and you will receive it in the mail via Air21 for an extra fee of P90 COD. Was told it would take from 4-5 weeks to receive it.

But for me, the good news is it only took 19 days. I applied on January 9th and received it just today, the 28th. If you elect to do in Manila, they will only renew passports on an appointment basis. You have to go there when they tell you to. If flying, it will also cost you more to get there, and once there you have to cope with finding a place to stay and getting there from the airport.

In Cebu, I found a convenient place to stay at the Metro Park Hotel within walking distance from the Waterfront Hotel. It's a nice place, only P900/night for up to 2 people, with A/C. Cable TV, 4th floor restaurant, outdoor swimming pool and each room has a small refrigerator w/freezer. A nearby Mall is also within walking distance.

Taxi fare from Mactan Airport is about P220, more or less depending on the traffic. But don't take a yellow taxi, use the white ones which are a lot less expensive. The taxi drivers will not hassle you about the fare. They will just push the meter button and give you a receipt.

So there you have it, all the facts needed to renew your U.S. passport in Cebu. If you need any more details or info not covered here, let me know. I hope this will help you and make you realize that passport renewal in the Philippines isn't that difficult.

Ex-pat Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Very useful info, and Thanks for the Help Kelp..... I too need to re-new both of My Daughters U.S. Passports when I come there in June. One more question though: What's the best method of travel to Cebu from Duma? I won't be in a rush to get there, so what I'll probably do is just get a hotel the night before { possibly the one You mentioned }. Does anyone have expierience with the Cebu Pacific flight from duma-cebu? I've noticed that there are some promo fares still available during that time frame, but of course there's always the crazy bus ride or boat service if it's still available. I appreciate any input You Guys may have out there...Cheers

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I used the Cebu U.S. consulate service to renew my passport. They have a delivery option to have the renewal passport sent directly to your house from Manila or to the Cebu consulate office. I received mine at my house; it took about a month.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Manzanita

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    How do I get started on that Pat? Who does that? Who should I contact?

6. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Mark, I went to the Cebu consulate and filled out the form and turned in my passport. Painless, other than the trip to Cebu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Manzanita

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    OK thank you, that coincides with Kelpguys post. Just hard to find a day thats not either an American or Phil holiday.

8. john reynolds

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Pat, what mode of transportation did you use going to Cebu? It looks like We'll take the Aircon Bus sometime on Monday, June 10th, stay in Tune Hotel across the Street from Ayala Center, do some shopping with the Wife and kids and the next Morning head over to the Consulate to take care of the Girls Passport Renewals. Although the flight leaves kinda early in the Morning from Duma, have You ever taken the flight over to Cebu? I guess it would be another option, but a more expensive one unless there's some great promo deal going on... What about the boat service to Cebu? is that any better than taking the bus? Cheers

9. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    John, for that trip, we took the aircon bus the afternoon and went to the consulate the next morning - first thing. We have taken the morning flight to Cebu and morning return, you have to get up very early to get the to and return flights but still beats the long bus ride. We have also taken the fast boat to Bohol and then Cebu, got first class seats and really enjoyed the ride. Depending on the weather, I like the boat ride the best - not the cheapest but comfortable. Come on by the house for a beer when you return.

10. john reynolds

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thanks again for the Info. Pat. Like You said, Depending on the Weather We might just take the boat. The Aircon Bus the Day before is a good option because I don't have to wake Everyone up too Early.The Wife is not a Morning Person, such as Myself Who's up at the crack of Dawn everyday. I'll have to take You up on that Beer offer too..... It's not too far of a walk from Our little Chateau in Bacong to Your place.... If We take the Aircon Bus I might just spend the night in the New Go Hotel across from Robinsons before We go, since it's right there next to the bus station and the fact that We'll probably be in the Mall most of the Day on Sunday anyways the Day before We go..Thanks again Pat....Cheers