Dumaguete Info Search

How to Rental Deposit

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by God Bless Texas, Feb 6, 2023.

1. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +292 / 17
    Hey all,
    We've been traveling anf had a short term rental house. The lease is over at the end of the month and I'm looking for info on how honest landlords are with deposits. Assuming we didn't wreck the place (we didn't) are rental deposits normally refunded or should I prepare myself for excuses to not returned it?
    Thanks

• Not funny. Not funny. x 1
  2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I have heard of many who had problems with this, but in my own case have rented 4 different properties there, always having a waiting time to get the deposit back, the reason/excuse being that they needed to confirm the Electric and water Bill, in each case I did get my money with only one landlord adding an extra P1K to an electric bill, apart from this one which was only short term for 3 months, the rest I had made some improvements to or fixed some minor problems and never tried to get any money back for any small outlay, my last rental I was in for 4yrs and my deposit of 12K was about the same money as I had spent on this in that time, in every case I waited 2 to 3 months.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Like you said, the deposit will be refunded without any further questioning from your side or....a lot of hassle with 101 excuses it cannot be refunded right away, short of cash and so on. What I did twice, just consuming the deposit as much as possible with bills for electric and city water and the rental payment of the last month(s). If this still will not settle all, @least you did everything to minimize your loss; if any.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Just always have a rental agreement written up. Record all damages before moving in & add in the agreement, deposit to be refunded within 48 hours of rental departure if no damages.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,097 / 332
    In true Filipino style they gamble that you will not go to court for a small amount and then they brag to their "friend's" how they outsmarted or hoodwinked the foreign idiots.
    They would not treat their own people like this as they know the outcome would most probably involve a lead tablet or a bolo.

My lawyer here once told me something i always have remembered, we were consulting him regarding starting a court case against some local people,(not rental deposit) he told us we were clearly in the right BUT when the day comes we might get a judge that does not like foreigner's, so we did not proceed and we just swallowed it (again).

6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Your local barangay hall is often a place where small problems can be resolved. If you have a problem it is probably the best place to start.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +292 / 17
    We do have it written out and a shared drive to show we paid the utilities while being here. The property owner is in Manilla and she was good with the set up, strarted with credit balances with both the electric company and water company. Just hopr she doesn't "disappear" now that we are leaving.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    Depends on the landlord, of course.

I've had many rentals here and one loss - a Filipino landlord who felt he was the greatest power on Earth. When we took on the rental we removed his low wattage, crap, bulbs and put in our own. On leaving the rental, we switched his back in - but he insisted they were not his (100% they were!) and charged for new ones. He did similar things to our neighbour but much worse.

I was told by my wife to let it go - for the various reasons most of you know by now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    LOL