Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing Replacement Vehicle Remote Key

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Mike_Haddon, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    Thought I had seen a member writing about obtaining a replacement remote key for their vehicle recently, but a quick search has not shown any results here.

Thought it might be useful to inform on my recent experience obtaining one.

My car key has long had a problem as the battery does not remain in place and now the actual key barrel is bent. I went straight to the dealer to ask about a replacement. They spent about 30 minutes typing into a pc and then told me that the cost of a new key is P11200, including 4000 to programme the remote. A bit pricey I thought, but needs to be done.

After I had paid a deposit for the cost of parts, they told me that I needed to go to a key engraver to cut the new blank key barrel. They recommended Dodong's Engravers in Perdices Street, Dumaguete, opposite Veterans Bank. Went there to enquire and, sure enough, quoted P1,000 to cut the blank key. Also said he could have provided the replacement key, programmed accordingly, for total P8,500.

Too late for me to save almost 4000, but might be useful info for others.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,975 / 1,085
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +246 / 138
    I'm curious, did anyone ask for proof of ownership prior to making your new key?

At my dealership, keys have chain of custody paperwork to protect vehicle owners. Registration with VIN and owners name on it, plus a photo ID. In cases where the owner might be a business and the driver might be an employee, the business owner needs to send us a notarized form with approved employee names.

Q: Why are keys so expensive?
    A: In the wrong hands, they are worth as much as your car.

Just for reference. The cost of a new key plus our labor rate to cut and program it for a customer, at my dealership here in the US, would equate to P15,000.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,975 / 1,085
    I for one was not asked for any paperwork here in the Phils. No ID or contact info. No name on receipt. Just in and out with my new key.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1